Can iMac go up to 6GB RAM? It's Santa Rosa, right?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi, quick question, if Santa Rosa and nVidia chipset Macbook and MacBook Pro can go up to 6GB RAM, is this possible in the most recent iMacs??? Has anyone tested this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I belive that the iMac will recognize the 6GB of RAM but I think I remember reading somewhere that all 6GB aren't avliable for use at one time.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Specs are always posted on Apple's site. iMac is only 4 gig
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Specs are always posted on Apple's site. iMac is only 4 gig

Yeahbut, the new MacBook Pros are also 4 GB machines, yet they will take 6 GB. I'm not claiming that the iMac will take 6 MB, only that Apple's site is not always correct. As always, check out the details.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp11.html
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Yeahbut, the new MacBook Pros are also 4 GB machines, yet they will take 6 GB. I'm not claiming that the iMac will take 6 MB, only that Apple's site is not always correct. As always, check out the details.

http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp11.html

Why didn't you post this part of the article... seems like it's the most important

"NO, 8GB WON'T WORK

Just for fun we tried the 8GB configuration (2 x 4GB). Though the MacBook Pro will boot and Activity Monitor sees all 8GB, there are serious operational issues. For starters, if you use anything beyond 4GB of real memory, the MBP goes into "molasses" mode. And if you manage to quit out of the memory hungry app, the reported amount of real memory in use does not recede. At a certain point, our operation was so crippled that we had to push and hold the power button to force a shutdown. "
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Why didn't you post this part of the article... seems like it's the most important

"NO, 8GB WON'T WORK

Just for fun we tried the 8GB configuration (2 x 4GB). Though the MacBook Pro will boot and Activity Monitor sees all 8GB, there are serious operational issues. For starters, if you use anything beyond 4GB of real memory, the MBP goes into "molasses" mode. And if you manage to quit out of the memory hungry app, the reported amount of real memory in use does not recede. At a certain point, our operation was so crippled that we had to push and hold the power button to force a shutdown. "

bbwi, 6GB works on MacBook and MacBook Pro Santa Rosa and Nvidia. 2 sticks of 4GB doesn't work. But 1 stick of 2GB and 1 stick of 4GB is quite good.

AppleInsider reported this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ry_to_6gb.html

I am wondering, if anybody tested this with an iMac since it uses the same memory form factor as the Santa Rosa MacBooks and MacBook Pros.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trevowski View Post

I belive that the iMac will recognize the 6GB of RAM but I think I remember reading somewhere that all 6GB aren't avliable for use at one time.

Interesting.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trevowski View Post

Okay I found this thread on Macrumors, 6GB is recognized but they're going to test memory usage.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=607076
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

bbwi, 6GB works on MacBook and MacBook Pro Santa Rosa and Nvidia. 2 sticks of 4GB doesn't work. But 1 stick of 2GB and 1 stick of 4GB is quite good.

AppleInsider reported this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ry_to_6gb.html

I am wondering, if anybody tested this with an iMac since it uses the same memory form factor as the Santa Rosa MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

The article states that you may install more than 4gig and the system will recognize more than 4 gig but as soon as your Mac actually uses more than 4 gig it becomes unstable.

I don't know who's right. Maybe someone would like to test for themselves and report back
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

"NO, 8GB WON'T WORK

If you read the link, then you know what was there, there as no need for me to quote the link as well as post it.