PowerBook 800 fans on a lot more in 10.2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone else experienced this? I've been using Jaguar for just a few days, and my PowerBook 800 fans come on a lot more. Right now I'm just in IE, and the max fan is on. That fan only came on in 10.1 when running a DVD or a game, and even then not very often.

The other fan(s) are on more frequently too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Just a guess but perhaps it is due to Quartz Extreme. On ym Powerbook 667 VGA the main fan always comes on when I play a 3d game or push the ATI Radeon mobility. Now that jaguar constantly uses the Radeon with Quartz Extreme perhaps the fan comes on more often
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I notice this on my iBook also. I'm Quartz Extreme Enabled so maybe that's why but who knows what is going on I only notice about a 30 min battery loss using 10.2 on 10.1 I could get 5hrs now I can get 4hrs 30mins. so who knows why the fan comes on more often.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    If it is quartz extreme, I wish I could turn it off. I haven't noticed any performance improvements and the fans are just too annoying.

I've been playing around with the energy saver settings, and I can't seem to make it go away. And I haven't been using it on battery much so I don't know about that.

Ugh. My PowerBook usage has just become a lot less pleasant.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I dunno--my fan isn't coming on any more often, and I have better battery life...I'm on a TiG4 800 DVI.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by mrmister:

<strong>I dunno--my fan isn't coming on any more often, and I have better battery life...I'm on a TiG4 800 DVI.</strong><hr></blockquote>Well maybe it's just my machine. I'll have to try to mess with it a little more.

Oh I'm also using airport all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I've got my sister's PowerBook for a week before it catches up with her at Harvahd. I noticed it making a faint clicking noise (sounded kind of like a helicopter) constantly for as long as I was using it. What the heck was that noise? Sounded like bubbling liquid...Was it the fluid in the heatpipes?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Yeah, that's the "purring" as it's been called. It doesn't seem to do anything or signifiy anything being wrong, and it's barely audible, so it doesn't seem to be a real problem. I've heard it may be related to video, but I don't really know.

I found a thread about the fan thing on the Apple PowerBook discussion forums, so it seems to be a common problem.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>I've got my sister's PowerBook for a week before it catches up with her at Harvahd. I noticed it making a faint clicking noise (sounded kind of like a helicopter) constantly for as long as I was using it. What the heck was that noise? Sounded like bubbling liquid...Was it the fluid in the heatpipes?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Probably the hard disk.

Amorya
  • Reply 9 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Heh, it does sound like purring.

Anyway, With reduced processor performance and the screen settings set low I think the PowerBook 800 MHz DVI actually gets better battery life. I haven't done any testing though...other than watching the battery meter/timer for a short time.