Strange Problem with USB

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi,

I really hope if anyone can help me to solve out this issue.

I don't want to spend some stupid money to repair my MBP because this definitely not a hardware issue.

Computer Spec:

MBP Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16g using Mac OS X 10.5.5

Problem:

Suddenly from few weeks ago, USB ports stopped working. I gives power since I could charge my iPhone through it. However, the OS doesn't recognise the iPhone plugged in. At first I thought it was having problem connecting to iPhone but it doesn't recognise any of USB devices including keyboard, mouse etc. Both of the ports having same issue.

Strangely, if I restart/start the computer with USB device plugged in, it works. But if I disconnect it and connect other USB device, it doesn't work again...

So I thought this must be OS problem so I re-installed after formatting the harddrive but still same problems.

More strangely, I installed Vista on bootcamp just to see if Windows handle USB device, it works there perfectly. This leads to the conclusion that this is not a hardware problem but software instead.

Can anyone suggest a fix for this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    why don't u try the 10.5.6 update?

make sure you download the combo update from apple's website, not the one from your apple button.