drag & drop not working ? :: jaguar

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm unable to drag files/icons anymore in jaguar?

is there any way to fix this?!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What is the specific context or situation? Drag and drop should work with just about everything.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    i'm unable to move any item out of the dock. Or mo ve around any icons on the desktop......

something is wrong?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Have you logged out or restarted lately?

Although Mac OS X is far more stable than OS9, a few weird things can crop up from time to time if you're unlucky. A swift logout or restart usually solves these hiccups.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You can't move items out of the dock - they're just aliases that disappear when you drag them off the dock. Is that what you're trying to do?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    you can't move something that is running out of the dock.

make sure you didn't some how turn off your permissions ot access items on the desktop.

it would be a folder titled "Desktop" located in your home directory.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    are you admin user?

if not you may not have permission to do these things.

new jag user permissions w/ Dock an Desktop
  • Reply 7 of 11
    i am the admin....

i'm unable to move around any desktop icons, can't move any items in/out of dock...

i basically can't move around anything! Even if I open a folder via the finder on the desktop, i'm unable to drag files........

????
  • Reply 8 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Let's start from the top:

What were you running before, and how did you install Jaguar over that system? Did you just click through the default install or did you choose any custom options?

Has it been like this since you installed Jaguar? Did you notice this after a particular event on your machine? (Did you install another application, move or delete anything in the Library or System folder? Did you do anything with your permissions that you remember?)

Have you booted up from the first install CD and tried running the Disk Utility (it's in the application menu of the installer) to verify and repair both privileges and the drive?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    i haven't tried running the disk utility..... i'll definitely try that....

i remembered two things before this happened [it was working perfectly before this] .....

i was deleting deskshade plus & changing the icon for OmniWeb [changing it's icon in the getinfo window]......

right after that, something froze [i believe it was the dock] and whatever froze restarted [but the desktop/OS kept running].

After that, I was unable to move/drag and files/icons on by system

everything is erfect except this!!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Wow, my system just did the same thing... I was trying to open a fairly complicated PDF in Preview and suddenly the spinning lines of pondering showed up and I was logged out and now my drag and drop doesn't work either... I'm going to restart and see if that fixes anything...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Well, restarting fixed it.. it also got really slow as if some process was still running and crashed.. when I went to restart, it didn't initially because SystemUIService or something like that wasn't working... really weird