Converted from PC?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was reading this article and it got me wondering…

How many out there are recent PC converts, and why did you switch?

I actually started my conversion last year (or was it the year before) when out of the blue my wife bought me a WhiteBook. It’s the 2Ghz 1G of RAM model (I’ve since upgraded it to 2G of RAM). After having been a die hard PC user and building my own computers for more years than I care to say…using the WhiteBook was surprisingly liberating. The more I used the WhiteBook the less I wanted to use my (more powerful) desktop PC.

Meanwhile my father was having loads of problems with his PC. Not a day would go by that he wouldn’t call me with some virus or another (my father is not the most computer savvy person, nor are his surfing habits the safest), and I was at his house all the time cleaning out viruses or formatting the computer. This is despite firewall software, anti spy-ware software, and anti virus software (all kept up to date). At one point I found his machine had been hacked and was being used as a chat server (I found chat logs, login records, and everything…). It was a day like that, but not that day, that I threw up my hands and declared that I could not fix his computer and he’d have to buy another one…and I recommended he get a Mac.

He followed my advice and in the year or so (how long ago were the white plastic iMacs?) since he got is iMac he’s called me with a problem a total of 1 time. His mouse wasn’t working…

“Go buy a new one!” I said…

“No, it’s not the mouse itself, I need you to look at the computer!” he answered.

“I tell you what, if you go buy a new mouse and that doesn’t fix the problem I will pay you back for the mouse AND come see if I can’t fix what ever is wrong.” I countered.

He got his new mouse (which of course fixed the problem), and I’ve not heard of any problems since.

Just a few weeks ago I finally was able to replace my desktop PC with a shiny new 24 inch 3.06Ghz, 4G RAM iMac. And once again I’ve got that feeling of liberation.

So, recent PC converts, why did you switch?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Well, I don't personally have a mac yet. But in my broadcast communications class, we have PCs and Macs. Well, I have been using the PC since I started that class. But I was always bothered by how slow it was and the PC just seemed to be fighting me when I wanted to use multiple programs to do different things. It just seemed like it didn't want me to use anything. So my teacher suggested that I worked with a mac. I was a little hesitant. But after a week, I was producing higher quality work that was stress free.

Now I am planning on getting the new Macbook Pro! =]

*I am not a paid actor*
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevzaz View Post

*I am not a paid actor*

Just keep practicing, they'll start paying eventually.

I'm actually more interested in people who switch the other way and what reasons they've had for doing so. Also, if any switchers either way went the hackintosh route - not 100% sure if that's a switch away from Mac or a switch to Mac.

I've heard of people switching to Macs but running Windows all the time, again is that a switch to Mac?

I think a hackintosh running OS X counts as a switch to Mac but a Mac running Windows doesn't. I reckon the Mac experience is mostly defined by the OS not the hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I had been lingering towards Mac ever since they introduced the iMac G4.

At that point I had just purchased a Dell though, so I was set for about 4 years. Then when the Dell got outdated, I was looking around, and noticed how much cheaper PC's had gotten over the years. However.

My dad had just purchased a new laptop with Vista, and I disliked it so much I thought: "No way, I'm getting a Mac!" So I held out 'till August 07 and then bought an alu iMac

Since then I also bought a MacBook and an Airport Extreme in april, and a new Nano 4G.

I'm very happy with all my machines, but if Apple keeps that elitist mentality they've had lately, I see no reason why I wouldn't be switching back to a PC. I mean, the new MacBooks are amazing machines, but $1200 for their cheapest laptop? please...

By the time either of my machines have become outdated, Linux will have come a long way, so I might just buy a much cheaper yet decent Dell laptop and call it a day.

So, basically I ought Macs for the OS, and took the amazing hardware as a bonus. If Apple keeps knocking up their prices while the rest of the PC world keeps knockin 'em down however, and if Linux continues to improve the way it has over the last years, I'll probably say byebye to the Mac
  • Reply 4 of 4
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Both, but a devoted Mac user. Chronology:

From 1983-1990, Commodore 64 (Programmed a bit in BASIC, too)

1990-July 1994 - Amiga 500 (AmigaOS "workbench", ProWrite, Video Toaster, and Shadow of the Beast FTW!) - I loved Rise of The Dragon. I miss that game . . .

July 1994-June 2002 - PowerMac 6100/60 (System 7, 7.5, OS 8)

June 2002-April 2006 - Various PC builds, All AMD Athlon, Palomino core, Barton Core (Windows XP)

June 2004-November 2005 - Linux (Mandrake, PClinuxOS, Damn Small Linux, Ubuntu)

April 2006-present - OS X Leopard (iMac Core Duo, Macbook Pro Rev. E) . . . and here to stay!