A totally new Internet download manager for Mac is out of the box!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi everyone! Folx Downloader Team is glad to announce that Eltima Software has released Folx vers 0.8 (beta). Folx is a free download manager for Mac OS x, which increases the download speed! Now all Mac users can download files via HTTP, HTTPS, FTP directly or via proxy just in several clicks and at maximum speed possible. Folx is very easy to use and has numerous handy features:

- Resume broken downloads (the part you have already downloaded stays safe and sound)

- Limit the download speed

- Split downloads into multiple threads

- Download via any browser

- Add different tags to downloaded files and search for them via Spotlight

- Stop, pause and restart your downloads

For more information please visit: http://mac.eltima.com/download-manager.html

To download Folx please visit: http://mac.eltima.com/download/downloader_mac.dmg

So download, test it and don?t forget that it?s a beta version

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anna Brooks View Post


    Hi everyone! Folx Downloader Team is glad to announce that Eltima Software has released Folx vers 0.8 (beta). Folx is a free download manager for Mac OS x, which increases the download speed! Now all Mac users can download files via HTTP, HTTPS, FTP directly or via proxy just in several clicks and at maximum speed possible. Folx is very easy to use and has numerous handy features:

    - Resume broken downloads (the part you have already downloaded stays safe and sound)

    - Limit the download speed

    - Split downloads into multiple threads

    - Download via any browser

    - Add different tags to downloaded files and search for them via Spotlight

    - Stop, pause and restart your downloads

    For more information please visit: http://mac.eltima.com/download-manager.html

    To download Folx please visit: http://mac.eltima.com/download/downloader_mac.dmg

    So download, test it and don?t forget that it?s a beta version



    Sorry, but with all due respect, you are full of BS.



    Download manager?!? Come on now... who needs this? Everything you need on this area is already handled by Leopard and it is mighty fast too.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anna Brooks View Post


    Hi everyone! Folx Downloader Team is glad to announce that Eltima Software has released Folx vers 0.8 (beta). Folx is a free download manager for Mac OS x, which increases the download speed! Now all Mac users can download files via HTTP, HTTPS, FTP directly or via proxy just in several clicks and at maximum speed possible. Folx is very easy to use and has numerous handy features:

    - Resume broken downloads (the part you have already downloaded stays safe and sound)

    - Limit the download speed

    - Split downloads into multiple threads

    - Download via any browser

    - Add different tags to downloaded files and search for them via Spotlight

    - Stop, pause and restart your downloads

    For more information please visit: http://mac.eltima.com/download-manager.html

    To download Folx please visit: http://mac.eltima.com/download/downloader_mac.dmg

    So download, test it and don?t forget that it?s a beta version



    Looks good Anna. You may want to see about adding smart folders since you use Spotlight technology. Forgive me if you support them and I just can't see it. It's a nice start for a developer I've never heard before.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Looks good Anna. You may want to see about adding smart folders since you use Spotlight technology. Forgive me if you support them and I just can't see it. It's a nice start for a developer I've never heard before.



    LOL!



    So instead of clicking 'download' I now have to install a software to do the same thing? Brilliant.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    LOL!



    So instead of clicking 'download' I now have to install a software to do the same thing? Brilliant.



    I thought the same thing but then I tried Speed Download. Being able to open up concurrent threads during a download helps the overall speed and stability of the download. If I was downloading some huge files from say the Apple Developer Connection I'd certainly use a different downloader than the basic one included in a web browser.



    Also many download apps have the ability to queue downloads. So if there are a bunch of downloads that you want to do but hold off until you're done with your basic computing you could queue up the downloads and check them the next morning.



    Right now my needs are very basic but I could certainly see a time where I need more robust download management.



    I think the next step may be rules based downloads. I've already created this with Hazel from Noodlesoft. I have it monitor my downloads folder and based on extension it sends the files to their appropriate folder. I think these download apps should think about offering a basic "watched folder" with some rules/action to ease the management of downloaded files.



    The one constant in computing is "there is always a way to do something better"
  • Reply 5 of 11
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    I thought the same thing but then I tried Speed Download. Being able to open up concurrent threads during a download helps the overall speed and stability of the download. If I was downloading some huge files from say the Apple Developer Connection I'd certainly use a different downloader than the basic one included in a web browser.



    Also many download apps have the ability to queue downloads. So if there are a bunch of downloads that you want to do but hold off until you're done with your basic computing you could queue up the downloads and check them the next morning.



    Right now my needs are very basic but I could certainly see a time where I need more robust download management.



    I think the next step may be rules based downloads. I've already created this with Hazel from Noodlesoft. I have it monitor my downloads folder and based on extension it sends the files to their appropriate folder. I think these download apps should think about offering a basic "watched folder" with some rules/action to ease the management of downloaded files.



    The one constant in computing is "there is always a way to do something better"



    The ability of queue downloads is a minor improvement for 95% of people. For larger files there is something much better than your download manager, it is called torrents. Stability in Leopard is very good already.



    While there is always a way to improve upon current software, most of the time one does so with added complexity. So it is worth now installing and dealing with yet another 3rd party software (including updates for bug fixes, dedicating system resources to run it, slightly longer startup times, incompatibility issues, etc) just to be able to queue your download?



    Nope. That is what Windows is and it is a failure. The efficiency of Leopard is the simplicity of it. Doing things on a streamlined way with only the features you really need and doing it fast and reliably. All you are doing is adding features you can do without, increasing complexity and lowering efficiency.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    I'd like a source to back up the statement that 95 percent of people view queued downloads as minor.



    Your second point is simply and appeal to fear. Please provide evidence to substantiate your contention that making something better = making it more complex within the context of downloading software . I do not see a link here.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron


    Nope. That is what Windows is and it is a failure.



    A. Non sequitur

    B. Fault logic



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron


    The efficiency of Leopard is the simplicity of it. Doing things on a streamlined way with only the features you really need and doing it fast and reliably. All you are doing is adding features you can do without, increasing complexity and lowering efficiency.



    Simplicity is relative to the individual and their opinion. Arguments are supported by logical reasoning and opinions need not be backed by anything.



    You've given a fine opinion masquerading as an argument.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    I'd like a source to back up the statement that 95 percent of people view queued downloads as minor.



    Your second point is simply and appeal to fear. Please provide evidence to substantiate your contention that making something better = making it more complex within the context of downloading software . I do not see a link here.









    A. Non sequitur

    B. Fault logic







    Simplicity is relative to the individual and their opinion. Arguments are supported by logical reasoning and opinions need not be backed by anything.



    You've given a fine opinion masquerading as an argument.



    Hahaha. The typical "Ooops you caught me... er... you are wrong!" response. Most arguments are just opinion, of course. Your contention that the download manager improves speed is also just an opinion without any backing at all. So is the rest of your claims (or Anna Brooks, whatever).



    The argument that adding a 3rd party software adds complexity is not an opinion, its simple logic: if you add a component you are adding complexity by definition. So no, you are wrong there.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    Hahaha. The typical "Ooops you caught me... er... you are wrong!" response. Most arguments are just opinion, of course. Your contention that the download manager improves speed is also just an opinion without any backing at all. So is the rest of your claims (or Anna Brooks, whatever).



    The argument that adding a 3rd party software adds complexity is not an opinion, its simple logic: if you add a component you are adding complexity by definition. So no, you are wrong there.



    No I never said you were wrong. An opinion doesn't have to be based on facts but an argument does have to be supported by facts. When you say 95 percent of all people do not need xxx feature sans supporting evidence it fails to be an argument.



    No ...you have not made any logical statements in this thread. Complexity is neither mutually inclusive or exclusive with regards to adding software.



    I'm not saying you're right or wrong about the need for downloading programs. That's really up to the individual to decide. I'm saying the information you've submitted is not backed by any relevant data.



    It's likely true that some people need extra downloading features and that substantiates the need for a program to exist to serve this people.





    gotta go, downloading some shit..

  • Reply 9 of 11
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    No I never said you were wrong. An opinion doesn't have to be based on facts but an argument does have to be supported by facts. When you say 95 percent of all people do not need xxx feature sans supporting evidence it fails to be an argument.



    No ...you have not made any logical statements in this thread. Complexity is neither mutually inclusive or exclusive with regards to adding software.



    I'm not saying you're right or wrong about the need for downloading programs. That's really up to the individual to decide. I'm saying the information you've submitted is not backed by any relevant data.



    It's likely true that some people need extra downloading features and that substantiates the need for a program to exist to serve this people.





    gotta go, downloading some shit..





    Use torrents, for everything else there is Leopard without the 3rd party bloatware.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    A) Guys, keep going at it, this is interesting and so far you haven't insulted each other (at least not seriously).

    B) So which torrent program do you recommend for an Ibook using the ancient 10.3.9 OS?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post


    Use torrents, for everything else there is Leopard without the 3rd party bloatware.



  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evaness View Post


    A) Guys, keep going at it, this is interesting and so far you haven't insulted each other (at least not seriously).

    B) So which torrent program do you recommend for an Ibook using the ancient 10.3.9 OS?



    I use vuze, which downloads at insane speeds if your torrent is healthy and is much MUCH smarter than any 3rd party download bloatware.



    For an ancient machine I don't know, perhaps some of the smaller sharewares will do.
Sign In or Register to comment.