New iMac not seeing printer; keyboard probs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I purchased a new iMac a month ago. Often, the keyboard just stops working and the computer has to be restarted for the keyboard to work again.

Another problem: Unless I plug my printer in with a USB, the Mac does not pick it up. The printer is a fairly new HP Officejet J5780.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Other than USB do you have to printer plugged into a print server or a device with a built-in print server?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington View Post

Other than USB do you have to printer plugged into a print server or a device with a built-in print server?

When the printer is plugged in with a USB, it works. But I thought that the Mac could pick up a printer without the cable. The same goes for the Internet. Though sometimes it loses the signal of my router.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleeper12 View Post

When the printer is plugged in with a USB, it works. But I thought that the Mac could pick up a printer without the cable. The same goes for the Internet. Though sometimes it loses the signal of my router.

??? How are you trying to connect to the printer if not USB? I looked up your printer and there was no mention of a wireless or ethernet connection, so how are you connecting? The HP specs only mentioned high speed USB so a USB cable is required.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

??? How are you trying to connect to the printer if not USB? I looked up your printer and there was no mention of a wireless or ethernet connection, so how are you connecting? The HP specs only mentioned high speed USB so a USB cable is required.

I hooked the USB back in with the printer. Someone had told me that the mac could find it without a wire, which is why I was asking.

I'm still having the keyboard problem, where the board randomly stops working.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Yes, you can print without wires but you have to have a wireless print or have it connected to a print server (or device with that capability like an airport).

If you buy an airport for example you can plug the printer into that and print wirelessly.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleeper12 View Post

I'm still having the keyboard problem, where the board randomly stops working.

What kind of keyboard do you have? The one that came with your Mac? If so, maybe you should contact Apple.