iTunes Based Mac App Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So you can download some third party apps from the apple website, but wouldn't it be great to have an iTunes based distribution system like the iPhone app store, but for full-blown mac apps? a way of streamlining. of course, you could still download apps for the mac through the third party iteself. just imagine a windows user in the iTunes store, checking out all the amazing apps they could have only to realize they don't run on their pc. that could sell a few new macs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Homer Simpson: [reading an envelope in his mailbox] "Flancrest Enterprises"?

Ned Flanders: Oops! That's for me. Flancrest Enterprises is my home business,

Homer Simpson: You liar! You don't have a home business! Why would you make up a lie like that?

Ned Flanders: No, it's true. Maude and I sell religious hook rugs over the Internet.

Homer Simpson: Internet, eh?

Ned Flanders: Yes, indeedy. Making some good scratch too.

Homer Simpson: Scratch, eh?

Ned Flanders: Yep.

Homer Simpson: Maude, eh?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I think the itunes navigation on the app store is terrible.

There should be a way to list 50-100 items per page in a list view and no icons rather than just icon view along with rating etc. I actually find it almost unusable in its current state.

If you browse by genre, you can get something like 50 pages worth of apps and you have to flip through each page to see what's there. You can't even jump to a certain page so if you were looking through them, go to page 20 and went back another day to see the rest, you have to flip through the first 20 pages again.

The top search box also searches the whole store, not just the section you're currently in. The only way you can really use the store is with the power search box and this partly defeats the purpose of looking through apps as you have to know what you're looking for first.

Not to mention when you do a power search, it then reverts back to the same navigation of page flipping.

The iphone interface to the app store is actually more enjoyable to use and I don't know if it's designed that way so that you use the iphone but I think it's pretty bad that a desktop store is much harder to use than the mobile equivalent.

Thing is, Apple already have their online site for apps at apple.com/downloads. It's still not great either because they are loading 20 items at a time there too. Versiontracker etc are much easier to use.

I think this would be a better system where you can quickly flip through items and compare apps by rating and price easily:

Probably have an advanced search in the left column always visible too.