Blank CD's won't mount on desktop

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
When my friends dad upgraded to Jag he had a problem with CD's not mounting on his desktop. I recently went to Jag too and a week or so later I can't get a blank CD to mount on the desktop. I really want to do a clean install of 10.2 and I'm in the proccess of backing up all my files. Is there any known problem with 10.2 that could cause this? It only does this with blank CD's, it asks what to do, I name the CD and tell it to "open" Finder, and it does nothing. If I leave the disc in there it randomly spits the disc out like 20 minutes later. I've got a 700 MHz G4 iMac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Did it work previously? I mean, could you mount a blank cd on the desktop while using jag and then all of a sudden it stopped working?

If it worked before, try deleting your finder preferences. They're located in ~Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist.

You could also try creating a new user and see if it works in that user's account. Just to make sure it's not a hardware thing and some screwed up preference in your account. HTH.

-t

ps - this should be in genius bar
  • Reply 2 of 17
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I'm not sure if I could before, I had Jaguar for about a week or two and then I needed to do it but it didn't work. I'll try deleting that, thank you I hope it works. I'm trying to get this to work so bad, I have to be at my first day of class tomorrow at 8 am and I'm not going to bed until I get this. I know this probably should be in genius bar, but I wasn't sure if it was just something new with Jaguar, that maybe you had to do something differently which I didn't know about. Thanks again, here goes nothing...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    I went to do that like you said but on the way I got an idea, which is usually bad, but it seems to have turned out ok. I made an image of the folder I'm trying to backup, inserted the disc, and when it asked me what to do I told it to burn the image I just made, and everything seems to be going smoothly ::for now::. Hopefully with a clean install I'll run into less of these little problems, which are quite seldom as it is.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Don't do a clean install, just do an archive and install. It'll save you the heartache of having to backup all your mp3's and whatnot. An archive and install should fix all problems that you have with the system, as long as it's not due to some corrupt preference file in your account (that's the reason I suggested making a new user and trying it. If it works, it suggests a corrupt preference file in your user account.) Good luck.

-t
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I have an old partition that used to have Linux on that I want to get back anyway, and I've heard a lot of talk about clean installs making a difference in preformance, so that's what I'm doing now. I have almost all my music on CD's already, so my music folder can be trimmed down from several Gig, to almost one CD without too much of a problem. And a good friend of mine got me a 25 pack of CD-RW's that I haven't touched yet for my birthday so I might as well put them to use sooner or later...
  • Reply 6 of 17
    ARG It still won't show them after I deleted that preference file, and now when I insert a blank disc to try to burn an image, it says that the CD doesn't have enough free space. It's a 700Mg disc and a 400Mg image.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    This is really making me mad now, I ran the hardware test disc and it didn't find anything wrong with my cd drive, but I don't think it even checked it. I can't burn a cd any way other than iTunes, so basically all i can burn is music.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Sorry, no solution but I have the same problem. I'm looking for a solution as well and I'll post here if I find it.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Did you try creating a new user and using that account to test? If that doesn't work, you could start up the old dirty install, archive install, clean install ladder until it works. Sorry to hear it's not working out for you.

Try the new user thing and lemme know how it goes. Also did you check apple's discussion boards? Maybe others are having the same problem.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Do you have toast installed? Look here: <a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bb974e9/0"; target="_blank">http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bb974e9/0</a>; . Maybe that will help?

Ah, and zap your pram (opt+cmd+p+r at boot, let ring three times).
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Thank you very much for your help I'm about to try all of these. I'll let you know if any work, and how well. Thank you.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I did the four things you suggested and still nothing works, a new user still has the same problems, zapping pram did nothing. I did a upgrade install over again and nothing changed. And I don't have toast, but I looked for the file anyway and I don't have it. I'm headed out right now, bu when I get home again I'm gonna try to figure it out some more.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I had success with the problem (if it is in fact the same problem as you.)

Somewhere in the System Preferences is an option to set the default action when inserting a disc, I believe one option is for a blank disc (I'm at work and can't double check.) Anyway, I had no default option selected so I was getting a dialog window that was asking me what to do and I just ignored it. Now I noticed that one option allows me to just mount it on the desktop.

I hope this is helpful.

As far as I can tell the previous default function was to mount AND open the program of your choice. Apple now has the OS do just one action instead of two. It kind of makes things easier, unless you're used to the old way of doing things....
  • Reply 14 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>I had success with the problem (if it is in fact the same problem as you.)

Somewhere in the System Preferences is an option to set the default action when inserting a disc, I believe one option is for a blank disc (I'm at work and can't double check.) Anyway, I had no default option selected so I was getting a dialog window that was asking me what to do and I just ignored it. Now I noticed that one option allows me to just mount it on the desktop.

I hope this is helpful.

As far as I can tell the previous default function was to mount AND open the program of your choice. Apple now has the OS do just one action instead of two. It kind of makes things easier, unless you're used to the old way of doing things....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ah, it makes sense now! Thanks. Of course, I haven't experienced this problem myself but at least we know it MIGHT not be a Jag problem.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I wish that was it... My system preferences are set to ask what to do. If I select open finder I get nothing at all. If I select open Disk Copy it seems to be working right until I select which image I want to burn, which is a backup of my Pictures folder and is only 400 Mg. It always tells me that the disc doesn't have enough free space, whether it is a CD-R or RW. I'm going to try to boot into 9 and brun the discs that way. I hope this isn't a hardware problem, which I doubt because it reads all discs just fine.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I'm burning CD's fine in 9.2 so untill I'm done with all this and get a chance to test it in a clean install I'm going with this. I'll let you know if anything works out. Thanks for your help anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 17

I was able to back up everything in 9 and clean install jaguar. Now every one of my problems is completely fixed.