Bad economy, people still buying?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
With the economy as bad as it is right now, will people still be making big money purchases especially electronic and computer purchases?

Apple should do something to bring the people in this country back on their feet again like free training/education.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    No... people NEED to quit buying stuff they can't afford.

That's what caused the whole mess to begin with.

The fix is gonna be painful... a lot of pain for a short time (couple years) or a lesser amount of pain, but spread out over a longer time.

The "bail-outs" being proffered now are the long road to recovery.

As for buying habits... mine haven't changed.

People who were buying everything on credit (either through cards or home-equity loans) are finding that their buying habits are changing... as they are finding it harder to borrow money now.

I think if someone actually "needs" a new TV, they'll buy a big LCD. But if they simply "want" to replace their CRT set that still works, many of those folks are putting off that kind of purchase.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Yes.

All on credit they can't afford to pay off.

Welcome to the world of credit abuse and wage slavery.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The economy is bad but people are still spending. Maybe the economy isn't as bad, really. Just saying.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The economy is bad but people are still spending. Maybe the economy isn't as bad, really. Just saying.

My personal economy hasn't changed... but the US economy as a whole has certainly seen better days. Every day I go to work I can see that the airplanes flying around the world are MUCH less full than they were just one or two years ago (even with fewer numbers of airplanes flying, they are still not full.) That, I think, is a pretty good indicator that people are not spending their $$ on "luxuries" like vacations and traveling as much as they did in the recent past. So while it may not mean that the economy is "bad", it does indicate that people are reigning in their spending a bit. (Which, while bad for my business, is good for society as a whole... long term.)