Best Way to Image and Deploy Intel Mac's with Bootcamp

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
What is the best way to image and deploy Intel Macs with BootCamp and XP Pro OEM installed? I know that netrestore has been discontinued. I've heard of making two images and partitioning each MacBook individually, but is there a way I can just make one image ? All the Macs I have have the same HD space.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    When you call Microsoft to reauthorize each copy of Windows, remember to answer as follows:

M'Soft; "On how many computers have you installed this copy of Windows?"

joshberlin: "One"

M'Soft: "have you recently made hardware changes to your computer, such as add a hard drive or graphics card"

joshberlin: "Yes."

M'Soft: "Thank you! And once again, on how many computers have you installed this copy of Windows?"

joshberlin: "One."

(not that I would know anything about breaking the Windows EULA)
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    What about Symantec Ghost?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    As mentioned above, you will probably run into issues with the licensing but with XP, it should just prevent you doing Windows updates.

You can use this app for cloning the Bootcamp partition:

http://twocanoes.com/winclone/

Disk Utility allows you to make an image from the entire drive instead of the partitions though. You select the root of the device on the left and go to file > new > disk image from disk0.

I don't know if that works with NTFS and you will likely get an error saying the device is busy doing it while booted. You will probably have to boot from an external device in order to image the drive.

Once you have the image, you can try a restore from Disk Utility using the disk0 image.

What you'd do is get an external drive - better to get a 7200 rpm desktop firewire drive as you're doing a lot of copying - then clone your Mac system to it with Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner. Then boot from it and use Disk Utility to image the internal disk0 and save this image onto the external.

Plug the drive into another machine, boot from it and restore the image onto the internal using Disk Utility.

If this doesn't work, you should just clone the Bootcamp partition using the above app, then partition manually on each machine and then clone back.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Use winclone for the Bootcamp partition.

But for OS X, you just want to do the partition that has OS X.

You don't clone a whole drive to an image, esp. with bootcamp! DU can't re-create the NTFS FS. Also, just doing the partiton will allow you to migrate to a bigger drive.