Khronos releases OpenCL specification

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OpenCL now ready for inclusion into Snow Leopard

Quote:

OpenCL enables software developers to take full advantage of a diverse mix of multi-core CPUs, Graphics Processing Units (GPUs), Cell-type architectures and other parallel processors such as Digital Signal Processors (DSPs). OpenCL consists of an API for coordinating parallel computation and a programming language for specifying those computations. Specifically, the OpenCL standard defines:

a subset of the C99 programming language with extensions for parallelism;

an API for coordinating data and task-based parallel computation across a wide range of heterogeneous processors;

numerical requirements based on the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers' IEEE 754 standard;

efficient interoperability with OpenGL, OpenGL ES and other graphics APIs.

I think in a couple of years this is going to be big. Let's get the developers started tapping the parallel processing benefits of the GPU and in 2-3 years you're going to see some amazing things.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    OpenCL + LLVM + GrandCentral = DROOOOOOOOOL....

But then, you'd probably guessed that, huh?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

OpenCL + LLVM + GrandCentral = DROOOOOOOOOL....

But then, you'd probably guessed that, huh?

Of course

Kickaha did you take a peak at new stuff on LLVM's page regarding the 2008 Developers Meeting? Apple had, count'em, 6 engineers there presenting :O

If anyone had any doubt about Apple's interest in LLVM that should quell any doubt.

I'm glad OpenCL is out in the wild. It's time to get developer working on it to find out what works well and what needs improvement.

Also I took a gander at the new OpenVG which sounds like it has purpose for improving vector performance on portable devices.

As sexy as Snow Leopard is in some ways I can only imagine what is going to be in store for us with 10.7.

Finally we're beyond Carbon.

Finally we're beyond legacy PPC and 32-bit

Finally we're seeing the birth of parallel computing for us all