What's the chance of an Apple TV?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
What do you think the chance is that apple will launch a flat screen tv soon? Like in Apple TV - Now with TV!

No manufacturer makes a nice tv today, so why not just design a nice apple tv, and sell loads of them?

It might be slightly out of apples business, but then again, they make portable music players, phones, and they even used to make a really nice boombox.

Imagine all the household that has broadband tv today with all these set-top boxes to control their tvs. Its a mess, and it works badly.

Apples tv could stream wirelessly from your mac, or you could just plug an ethernet in to get your broadband channels. And maybe a built-in blueray player.

This would make much more sense than adding the current Apple TV box to all the clutter of your tv-set.

I would buy one in a second.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,437member
    I'd buy one in a second too! 40 inch screen 1080p with optical drive, Core 2 Duo, 2 GB memory, 250 GB drive, 802.11b/g/n, Mac OS X optimized for 10-ft, cable modem, lots of I/O, webcam built-in, etc. I think the webcam would be a killer feature.

Chances are probably zero.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I don't think that Apple will ever make a television. But who knows?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Why would putting an AppleTV inside a TV make that TV so much more appealing? Having separate hardware just makes so much more sense in my opinion. What if Sony made a TV with a PS3 built-in? Would you buy that?

I don't get it. The margin on TVs is so slim I just don't see Apple getting away with it.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

No manufacturer makes a nice tv today, so why not just design a nice apple tv, and sell loads of them?

You are either joking or are woefully ignorant.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I have three questions:

1)Why?

2)What is wrong with Apple TV as it is?

3)How much are you willing to spend?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    My vision for an Apple TV is not AppleTV + TV. It's a 40" iMac with TV. The two usages I'm thinking about are family video chats and Internet video (Youtube, Hulu, etc). So webcam and browser are required along with all the various IM apps.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by THT View Post

My vision for an Apple TV is not AppleTV + TV. It's a 40" iMac with TV. The two usages I'm thinking about are family video chats and Internet video (Youtube, Hulu, etc). So webcam and browser are required along with all the various IM apps.

Then you should just by a Mac Mini and plug it into your TV. Stick a web cam on top
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Then you should just by a Mac Mini and plug it into your TV. Stick a web cam on top

Yeah, but that is ugly and inelegant. Apple doesn't do ugly and inelegant. I can get any myriad of small form factor computers to do the job, but I'd like a crazy thin TV (Apple does thin really well) that could be wall mounted without looking like an eye sore (basically all wall mount options).
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:

Yeah, but that is ugly and inelegant. Apple doesn't do ugly and inelegant. I can get any myriad of small form factor computers to do the job, but I'd like a crazy thin TV (Apple does thin really well) that could be wall mounted without looking like an eye sore (basically all wall mount options).

Even if we assume that Apple was inclined to do something like that, looking at their monitors as an example, the TV would be woefully expensive and horribly underperforming. Do you really think that anything Apple could deliver could touch the picture performance of a Pioneer Kuro or Sony XBR8 series (the best Plasma and LCD displays out at the moment).

And as for the the mount being ugly, you simply aren't willing to spend enough. I've seen mounts that range from articulating arms to poles to mounts that are IN the wall with the screen flush. Point is, you can get any look you want if you hire the right contractor.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    The problem with TVs is that there's no real room to differentiate other than panel tech and design.

They don't provide extensible interfaces. You have to go up the lineup and spend coinage just to get channels that can be labeled.

TV technology is fantastic within the context of hardware but it is software that is the current letdown. Java once was the hope for more fantastic UI options but that seems to be fading.

An Apple Television or Projector certainly is a dream of mine but the current trends do not seem to allow for Apple to apply the spit polish to the genre and for that reason they likely will not enter this market other than making an accessory.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

You are either joking or are woefully ignorant.

neither, i am afraid.

I have scanned almost every producer of flat screen tvs in 32-40"

I have not found a single good design. I have found a few that are barely acceptable, but none are good.

Apple has an incredible flair for design. Just look how long-lasting their designs are. For Example: The last 10 years we have only had THREE designs for their pro laptop (lombard, powerbookG4 and the new unibody)

And only TWO for the pro tower. (the blue/grey g3/g4 tower, and the aluminium G5 tower)

Apple could kick B&O's ass in terms of nice design. And it didnt have to be overpriced like B&O. It could just be slightly more expensive than your regular SONY and include the Apple TV.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brax.j View Post

I have three questions:

1)Why?

2)What is wrong with Apple TV as it is?

3)How much are you willing to spend?

1) Because apple makes design and user experience like no-one else. But mostly for the design actually. Why did they make a boombox? Because it was awsome.

2) nothing is wrong with Apple TV. Im just talking about making an Apple Television, and maybe including the Apple TV when you are at it.

3) I am willing to spend 150% of the price of a SONY, which should give apple a nice margin. But still be cheap enough to sell loads. Just look at the price of products from B&O....They are butt ugly and maybe priced 500% higher than a sony, but people still buy them. Apple could steal from this market.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Quote:

neither, i am afraid.

I have scanned almost every producer of flat screen tvs in 32-40"

I have not found a single good design. I have found a few that are barely acceptable, but none are good.

Have you looked at any of the Scarlet TVs from LG.

Quote:

1) Because apple makes design and user experience like no-one else. But mostly for the design actually. Why did they make a boombox? Because it was awsome.

2) nothing is wrong with Apple TV. Im just talking about making an Apple Television, and maybe including the Apple TV when you are at it.

3) I am willing to spend 150% of the price of a SONY, which should give apple a nice margin. But still be cheap enough to sell loads. Just look at the price of products from B&O....They are butt ugly and maybe priced 500% higher than a sony, but people still buy them. Apple could steal from this market.

150% of the cheapest Sony 40" LCD is 1499.99 for that price you can get:

-1.83 GHz Mac Mini

-Epson XGA projector that supports the Mini's full 1920x1200 resolution

-Projecta 92" projection screen

-Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

BTW this will do more than your Apple TV TV because it has full OS X not modified Front Row and you can still hook up all your other TV attachments.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Even if we assume that Apple was inclined to do something like that, looking at their monitors as an example, the TV would be woefully expensive and horribly underperforming. Do you really think that anything Apple could deliver could touch the picture performance of a Pioneer Kuro or Sony XBR8 series (the best Plasma and LCD displays out at the moment).

And as for the the mount being ugly, you simply aren't willing to spend enough. I've seen mounts that range from articulating arms to poles to mounts that are IN the wall with the screen flush. Point is, you can get any look you want if you hire the right contractor.

Apple doesn't have to beat the picture performance of Sony or Pioneer or whatever, they just need to be close. What they need to be good at is what they are usually good at: vertical integration, user experience in both hardware and software, and looks. The goal isn't to make a TV, rather, the goal is to make a computer for the living room. TV would just be one of the options.

AppleTV is really what Apple advertises it to be: an iPod for your TV. It is there to allow you to view your iTunes content + Youtube. That isn't my vision. I would like to see a computer for the living room, get rid of the cable clutter, get rid of the separate DVD player, etc. Let me watch TV, Internet video, and video conference.

Yeah, it could be right into the wall like a painting, but I don't want to spend that much. Heck, all I'm willing to spend is about $800 for the TV, but prices haven't dropped enough yet.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Apple doesn't have to beat the picture performance of Sony or Pioneer or whatever, they just need to be close. What they need to be good at is what they are usually good at: vertical integration, user experience in both hardware and software, and looks. The goal isn't to make a TV, rather, the goal is to make a computer for the living room. TV would just be one of the options.

AppleTV is really what Apple advertises it to be: an iPod for your TV. It is there to allow you to view your iTunes content + Youtube. That isn't my vision. I would like to see a computer for the living room, get rid of the cable clutter, get rid of the separate DVD player, etc. Let me watch TV, Internet video, and video conference.

Yeah, it could be right into the wall like a painting, but I don't want to spend that much. Heck, all I'm willing to spend is about $800 for the TV, but prices haven't dropped enough yet.

If your not willing to spend more than $800 then you can't even afford a decent 40" TV let alone all of the other products you want to go with it.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

-1.83 GHz Mac Mini

-Epson XGA projector that supports the Mini's full 1920x1200 resolution

-Projecta 92" projection screen

-Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse

BTW this will do more than your Apple TV TV because it has full OS X not modified Front Row and you can still hook up all your other TV attachments.

You can't get a Mac Mini for $160 used on eBay, or even less after MacWorld if an AppleTV update comes out. And you don't get true HDMI with Audio, and not to mention Optical Audio if needed. (Don't know if the Mac Min has ir for a remote but...)

To me those factors are serious, oh and comes with 802.11n?

I have thought of a Mac Mini, but no 5.1 audio, and to get at least a 2 gHz with accessories needed, it's around $500 minimum. To me it's like AppleTV in this room, blam, this room, blam, this room, blam. Three rooms with an AppleTV versus 1 macmini cluster,

Sorry, just going off, see you

Laters...
  • Reply 17 of 19
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

If your not willing to spend more than $800 then you can't even afford a decent 40" TV let alone all of the other products you want to go with it.

Depends on how you define decent. You have multiple 1080 42" LCD choices at $799 on Costco's page.

My goal is Xmas 2009 50" 120hz screen for <$900

I may as well wait for the next revision of Apple TV hardware as well.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:

Oh, please pay attention. I'm not willing to pay more than $800 for a TV, yes (1). Luckily for me, what I described was not a TV. Copying Steve Jobs, an "AppleTV" in my mind = TV + Internet Video Player + Video conferencing Player (and maybe game console as a trojan). It's really the marriage of TV and computer with all of design and UI goodies. I only value today's TV so much. It has nothing to do with what I can afford. As you can see, I place more value for other things.

(1) I'm perfectly willing to pay more for a TV if the design is worth it. Say a 50" 0.5" thick 1080p active matrix OLED with very deep blacks most certainly. Most of today's flat screen TV designs aren't really worth it, imo. Hence, I'd rather wait for the price to drop.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

You can't get a Mac Mini for $160 used on eBay, or even less after MacWorld if an AppleTV update comes out. And you don't get true HDMI with Audio, and not to mention Optical Audio if needed. (Don't know if the Mac Min has ir for a remote but...)

Why would you have to get a used Mac Mini that price I gave for 150% of the cheapest Sony 40" TV is for all of those products to be brand new. BTW the Mac Mini does have IR.