Apple to enter console game market in 2009

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple will enter the console game market in 2009 with the introduction of an Apple game console. The Apple "Vortex"

(film at eleven)

Do you think this is a good idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

It is a very bad idea for people to post statements like the one above.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    In short, no. It's pretty evident that the console gaming market can support no more than 3 players at a time, and that is pushing it. Apple would need to have a bunch of games lined up, probably not make money off the console hardware for a while, and hope that they've lived down the shame of the Pippin.

Now if you are suggesting the portable game market, then I can see them doing this. the iPod touch was designed with better performance tan the iPhone with it's faster processor and rumor has it that they are working on some advanced portable graphics chips for the iPod/iPhone. If that's the case they can ease into that market and take a good share of it. Right now it's the PSP and DS but there is room there for the iPod Touch (or iPod Game).

If Apple was to make a new console it would be based on Intel I bet, a departure from the current PPC based consoles (talk about irony). Maybe some custom core i7 based processor with 1GB of soldered on fast memory, a disk drive (2.5" with USB or FW expansion possible), WiFi 802.11n, and Apple's implementation of some onboard NVIDIA SLI chips. The case would be no bigger than the Mac mini and it would not include an optical disk drive. Game distribution would be through iTunes Game Store (iTGS). And controllers would be wireless right off the bat. The only connectors in the back would be 2 USB, HDMI, component out, audio out and an external power brick.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ^^^ AGREED^^^

There simply just isn't enough room in the game console world as it is. Introducing a new console now would be a horrible business choice. The industry is having a hard enough time as it is now.

With Microsoft and Sony offering a system for hardcore gaming, and Nintindo offering a system that mommy thinks is cute; they all three together have pushed out Sega. So in short therejust simply isn't enough room now
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trevowski View Post

^^^ AGREED^^^

There simply just isn't enough room in the game console world as it is. Introducing a new console now would be a horrible business choice. The industry is having a hard enough time as it is now.

With Microsoft and Sony offering a system for hardcore gaming, and Nintindo offering a system that mommy thinks is cute; they all three together have pushed out Sega. So in short therejust simply isn't enough room now

And of those three, only Nintendo is actually making money.

Sony is hemorrhaging cash with the PS3

and MS is only just starting to break even.

C.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    I don't think they should offer a new gaming platform, but they could offer more devices that can run the iPhone/iPod touch apps/games.

If they update the AppleTV to an ARM processor, it could probably run the same games with better graphics (480*320 =? 1080*720), the iPhone/iPod touch being used as the "remote". You could choose to download the game on the AppleTV (full rez graphics) and receive a low rez version for your iDevice too. Scores/levels would sync via wifi.

I also remember an Apple patent about files containing high-rez graphics and depending on the cpu/gpu/display or whatever, the rez used would be decoded on the fly (something like: one file, multiple resolutions). But don't take my word on it.

The other devide that I wouldn't mind, would be a bigger iPod touch (not only for gaming) for running multiple apps at the same time and also some selected apps "full screen", like safari, notes, email, movies and probably some games too. With a 960*640 screen, one could display up to 4 apps at the same time (2x2 vertically or 3 apps + a "home" screen) or 3 apps with a dock (horizontally). Zoom in on one app to get it full screen, zoom out to return to the previous state.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    apple should come out with a $800 $1500+ desktop with good cards for gameing maybe even sli / crossfire on the high end.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

In short, no. It's pretty evident that the console gaming market can support no more than 3 players at a time, and that is pushing it. Apple would need to have a bunch of games lined up, probably not make money off the console hardware for a while, and hope that they've lived down the shame of the Pippin.

Now if you are suggesting the portable game market, then I can see them doing this. the iPod touch was designed with better performance tan the iPhone with it's faster processor and rumor has it that they are working on some advanced portable graphics chips for the iPod/iPhone. If that's the case they can ease into that market and take a good share of it. Right now it's the PSP and DS but there is room there for the iPod Touch (or iPod Game).

If Apple was to make a new console it would be based on Intel I bet, a departure from the current PPC based consoles (talk about irony). Maybe some custom core i7 based processor with 1GB of soldered on fast memory, a disk drive (2.5" with USB or FW expansion possible), WiFi 802.11n, and Apple's implementation of some onboard NVIDIA SLI chips. The case would be no bigger than the Mac mini and it would not include an optical disk drive. Game distribution would be through iTunes Game Store (iTGS). And controllers would be wireless right off the bat. The only connectors in the back would be 2 USB, HDMI, component out, audio out and an external power brick.

In short, no.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

1gb is too small in a corei7 system 2gb min. It will need a E-net port, and games will be to big to be download only so you will need a DVD or blue ray disk as well.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystic View Post

Apple will enter the console game market in 2009 with the introduction of an Apple game console. The Apple "Vortex"

(film at eleven)

No.

No.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

1gb is too small in a corei7 system 2gb min. It will need a E-net port, and games will be to big to be download only so you will need a DVD or blue ray disk as well.

I disagree since other console makers can do with less. We're not running photoshop or multiple apps here. And the problem with ethernet is who wants to run a cable to their entertainment center? wireless is faster than any broadband you are likely to get.

You're not talking about a console here, you want a computer for your TV. Let's be honest about that then.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    nVidia already have powerful (by today standards) 3D enabled platform for mobile market. nVidia is also Apple's partner, so it is logical to expect Apple has plans to take advantage of that platform.

Upgraded iPod touch with some extra control pads and buttons, or even iPhone with extra gaming functionality, based on new nVidia platform... for me, that sounds like good idea and would prove more useful than game-only portables. With touch screen, shake-sensor and proper thumbpad and extra couple of trigger-buttons, it could actually blow away both PSP ans DS (technology wise, at least).

Nokia did fail with their phone/game attempt, but whole exercise was kind of half-hearted anyway. I believe that good effort in this segment would succeed.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

I disagree since other console makers can do with less. We're not running photoshop or multiple apps here. And the problem with ethernet is who wants to run a cable to their entertainment center? wireless is faster than any broadband you are likely to get.

You're not talking about a console here, you want a computer for your TV. Let's be honest about that then.

Ethernet should be there + wifi and a console will need a disk as broadband is not up to speed to download 6gb+ games.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    With what ?. iBox 380 ?. The hidden Pippen V2 ?. They now have a nice "lite" os in the iPhone OSX with a solid framework and lots of gaming base releases for iPhone/iPod Touches, it could extend to console mode from there.

But development of main console box and hardware peripherals will likely cost a lot and takes time. Well, unless Apple take the complete opposite of Mac by licensing only the reference platform (with PA Semi chips), plus OSX_iBox380 and letting others do the development of end-products. This will "break" the current legacy of "doing it all" in Xbox and PS3.

Why 380 ?. Apple always wants people to believe that they are 2 versions ahead...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nano2Gfteo View Post

With what ?. iBox 380 ?. The hidden Pippen V2 ?. They now have a nice "lite" os in the iPhone OSX with a solid framework and lots of gaming base releases for iPhone/iPod Touches, it could extend to console mode from there.

The iphone does not have the ram for big games and there needs to user maps / mods for the games as well.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I'm a gamer but I think it would be a financial disaster for Apple to jump into the console war. It's a war where you have to bleed money like crazy to just survive.

Apple should instead focus on making some of their higher end macs great for gaming. I think it would cost less to just have that hardware in there that will allow bootcamp to run pc games with great framerates.

I bought an Xbox 360 after I gave up on Windows so that I could game but still have a reliable computer with superior OS than what I had. I have never been happier. I have a superb computer now and a better overall gaming experience. It's so nice to never have to worry about upgrading your machine whenever you buy a new game. And the Xbox Live community is absolutely stellar for gaming AND other entertainment. A game will almost always look better on a high end gaming pc but that will cost you; and I am frankly astonished at just how good the console games look now. They are more than "good enough".