Is .mac a bargain now?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I think so. Well at least the first year. Apple is now giving everyone 100 free iPhoto prints plus a free copy of Alchemy Deluxe plus a $5 discount on Bejeweled. The prints realy take a chunk out of the $50 first year fee.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    The $5 rebate on Bejeweled isn't too useful considering you can download a freeware version of the same game (or a very similar one, I think) called JewelToy. It'll appeal to people who don't know about JewelToy.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    where did you find this info?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    [quote]Originally posted by ThunderPoit:

<strong>where did you find this info?</strong><hr></blockquote>

At .mac. Macminute also mentions it.

What next? Free Watson?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    donnydonny Posts: 231member
    I think so. ... Certainly it is a much better one, and the trial period is still going. I'm quite happy so far, and I just ordered a few prints. Go Apple!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    A colection of nice addictive games (full versions, solo and net play) along with free photo printing would definitely help justify .Mac. 100 free prints should be part of the standard package. Prints aren't exactly cheap at retail, so if Apple can roll in a great deal on prints that adds say 40-50 bucks worth of value tot he package, then yeah, it turns into a much better deal.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I was probably gonna get it anyway, because I wanted email, but all those free prints and whatever that free software is just sealed it for me.

The only thing they could do to make it sweeter is send us .Mac t-shirts! And maybe some stickers! Come on, Apple, we want .Schwag!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I thought it was a bargain to start with (especially with the introductory price for iTools users). I mean, now you get:

* A Mac.com email account w/ 20 MB space

* 100 MB of iDisk space, including web page serving

* Backup, which can now span multiple CDs

* Virex and free virus definition updates

* Alchemy

* $5 off Bejeweled

* 100 iPhoto prints

All for $50. Even at $99, you couldn't match the Virex and backup software combined.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    yeah...was waiting till the 30th to get it...but added photos, free alchemy and intro price made me decide to "reward" apple with my dough now....hopefully we will continue to see little perks jump up from time to time.....especially if they want to keep everyone "on board" when the price jumps up next year....g
  • Reply 9 of 11
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    iDisk is worth it to share 20 MB files with co-workers, works great for that. 15 MB Mail Box is good too.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    I just signed on the dotted line. What convinced me was the ability to add on email accounts for $10 each. my wifes .Mac will expire and i will simply add on her Mac.com to my account for only $10, much better. Oh, and the free software, prints and utilities were cool too.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    [quote]Originally posted by NoahJ:

<strong>I just signed on the dotted line. What convinced me was the ability to add on email accounts for $10 each. my wifes .Mac will expire and i will simply add on her Mac.com to my account for only $10, much better. Oh, and the free software, prints and utilities were cool too. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, don't bother with letting it expire. Log into your new .Mac account, and you can actually convert her iTools account into an Email Only account right away. You won't lose any mail, and there's no risk of losing her username later. Same price and it's just as convenient.