PS3ers, streaming from your Mac?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have heard that AppleTV can't stream from anything but your Mac's iTunes library. I was wondering if anyone has had any success streaming from a Mac to a PS3. Also, is there a way to get the PS3 to play h.264 and x.264 encoded .movs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    "MediaLink" by Nullriver is what you need.

http://www.nullriver.com/

It's not free... but it's worth the $20 if you want to stream to your PS3.

I have no problem getting my PS3 to play h264... but in either .avi or .mp4 wrappers (and .m4v, when encoded so that it will play on both the PS3 and iPhone... and probably an AppleTV.)

Anyway... Media Link will stream over a wired or wireless network to the PS3 ... it was plug-and-play for me. I have noticed though that the PS3 is rather finicky about what formats it will play (and how they are encoded.) But once I figured that out, I ripped all my DVD's to a hard drive on the AirportExtreme. They are now accessible from all the computers and the PS3 ... works good.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    The PS3 can handle both h.264 and DivX files as long as they're in a container format like .mp4 or .avi.

It doesn't work with .mkv or .ogg containers - they simply don't show up.

I've had some luck with XviD files, but if you want to be on the safe side, stick to h.264. There's just too many crazy, non-standard variations of XviD, DivX and other MPEG-4 spin-offs.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

The PS3 can handle both h.264 and DivX files as long as they're in a container format like .mp4 or .avi.

It doesn't work with .mkv or .ogg containers - they simply don't show up.

I've had some luck with XviD files, but if you want to be on the safe side, stick to h.264. There's just too many crazy, non-standard variations of XviD, DivX and other MPEG-4 spin-offs.

There are a ton of encoding options within h264 also... not all mp4's encoded with h264 will play on the PS3 ... there are other threads here and in the Handbrake forums that address those settings better.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

There are a ton of encoding options within h264 also... not all mp4's encoded with h264 will play on the PS3 ... there are other threads here and in the Handbrake forums that address those settings better.

Ture, there's a ton of different options for h.264... But it's still way more standardized than all of the different DivX variants out there.

At least with MPEG-4/h.264 and DivX there are common profiles that you can target your encode for.

Thankfully I've never had any problems with h.264 encoded files, but then again I almost always use Handbrake to do my encoding.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been backing up my DVDs forever with Handbrake. Lately I've been using x264, before that I think I used ffmpeg. I've tried h.264 files in my PS3 at work, but they were my professional projects so I'm pretty sure they were encoded using x264 with a .mov wrapper. I'll certainly be trying .mp4 as soon as I get the chance. Thanks guys.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I bought Media link!

What I don't like about it: When it's "on", my Logitech laser mouse cursor suffers sluggish on-screen performance. I have contacted Nullriver about this, they should reply soon.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I'm impatient in waiting for a reply so I'll ask you guys too, If I buy media link and put it on my computer at work for testing with the work PS3, can it be easily moved to my home computer once I get a second PS3 for home?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I'm impatient in waiting for a reply so I'll ask you guys too, If I buy media link and put it on my computer at work for testing with the work PS3, can it be easily moved to my home computer once I get a second PS3 for home?

Yes... you get an activation code via eMail... it'll work on more than one machine at a time... it's up to you to be honest and abide by whatever terms are set forth in the EULA.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

YES!

• Reply 10 of 13
    I've done some testing now and my most recent encodes stream, but the stutter to a stop very quickly. This doesn't happen when playing through the MacBook on the same network. I'm wondering if there's a PS3 setting to control the buffer size perhaps. I rip at 900 kbps so there should be no problem streaming that 20 feet over an Airport Express.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

I've done some testing now and my most recent encodes stream, but the stutter to a stop very quickly. This doesn't happen when playing through the MacBook on the same network. I'm wondering if there's a PS3 setting to control the buffer size perhaps. I rip at 900 kbps so there should be no problem streaming that 20 feet over an Airport Express.

The PS3 only has "G" wireless... so it COULD be the wireless connection. Certainly, a "G" network SHOULD be able to handle streaming at that rate, but as always, performance varies in the wireless world.

There ARE advanced settings in the PS3 Networking settings, but I'm not sure what all is available and I'm not gonna interrupt the kids to find out .
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

and I'm not gonna interrupt the kids to find out .

Ha ha. Yes, There are a few ideas I have that I have not tested for that same reason. According to my googling this seems to be a widespread problem ever since a certain PS3 firmware upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Yeah, I've had the same problem with my PS3. It used to stream stuff perfectly, but lately the connection speed has either been terrible, or it's been dropping out a lot.

To be honest, I thought it was a problem with my iMac, which is sharing my internet connection via Airport. If it's a PS3 firmware problem, then hopefully Sony will fix it in a future update.