OS 10.4 Upgrade Question

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
hey guys::

i used to be under a another name here, but lost all my old login info.

i just recently bought a powerbook g4 from my company firesale. it runs on os 10.2.8.

i would like to upgrade it to os 10.5, but the 512 RAM would make it a bit sluggish. so i am upgrading it to 10.4 instead.

problem is,... i hear people say that you have to have os 10.3 installed before 10.4. is that true?

i just want to buy a full 10.4 upgrade package and do it then and there.

any assistance is appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    No 10.3 required.

If you have 10.4 Install Disk, then you can upgrade from ANY previous system, or even NO system.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

No 10.3 required.

If you have 10.4 Install Disk, then you can upgrade from ANY previous system, or even NO system.

that's great to hear! thank you!

saved me bunches of money. now if i can only find a full install pack.

----

so,... why are the full versions of 10.4 and up so expensive? 10.5 is cheaper but i am afraid that loading this up on a powerbook g4 with 512 ram will slug it down.

anybody think that'll be the case?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydutyco View Post

anybody think that'll be the case?

I know for a fact that it is not the case. I have an old PowerBook G3 Pismo (500 MHz) with 384 MB RAM. It runs MacOS X 10.4 just fine.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    10.4 (and older) is expensive, because it's no longer available from Apple... (Supply and demand in action.)

Ram's not all that expensive these days ... consider upgrading your machine to 1GB+ and install 10.5.