connect mac mini to AV receiver

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi!

I want to connect a Mac mini to a AV receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606. For this I want to use a DVI to HDMI converter cable. This will transport the video. How do I best transport the audio? Can I simply connect analog cables to the receiver and than join both signals on the receiver? (I didn't buy the receiver yet, so If there are better options in this price range, feel free to tell me).

Or is it better to connect the video also in an analog way?

thank you for your input

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I don't have a receiver in between... I have a Mini connected directly to the TV ... One of the HDMI inputs on my TV is also paired with an analog audio input. That works out just fine, the audio and video sync perfectly that way.

So... If that AV receiver has the ability to output video it receives from HDMI and audio from an analog port at the same time (and I would suspect it can) then you shouldn't have any problem.

Of course, it would be easier if Apple would just update the Mini with full HDMI output ... but I'm pretty sure we're gonna get mini-DisplayPort instead .
  • Reply 2 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Remember that the Mini, like Apple's laptops, supports optical audio out on that same mini socket that handles analog.

You'll need an adaptor like this to convert one end of a toslink cable to an 1/8" phone plug, but you'll get much better sound into your receiver than just using the analog.

Most receivers will allow you to assign an optical audio in to whichever video input you want.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Do you get 5.1 with that if you have all of the applicable codecs/wares/etcs? Or is that just 2 Channels to Optical?

THanks... WOuld Really like to know. Cause I would get a Mac Mini over an AppleTV if this is the case. Purchase time after MacWorld (Phil) :P

Laters...