Could this be where Apple is headed?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just read a post on Gizmodo about Apple releasing a Netbook at MacWorld

http://gizmodo.com/5111464/analyst-h...ok-at-macworld

They speculate that it could include an "app store" just like the iPhone.

On another note, Apple has neglected the Mac mini for some time now, and rumors have said that they want to do something huge for the next release...

What if Apple released a line of "solid state" computers under the "mini" name? MacBook mini, Mac mini? that were very inexpensive, included basic functionality out of the box (email, web, music, photos), and used the app store of all of their software?

Think super walled garden approach here? you can only install app store approved apps (meaning no viruses). Basically, a super simple, cheap computer, that grandma can use to email, IM, video chat, share photos, listen to music, play simple games, etc. Everything you can do on a computer now except run professional apps (Photoshop, FCP, etc).

Basically make the guts a glorified iPhone and call it a day. Sell them for cheap, and reap the profits from the app store...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tacojohn View Post

On another note, Apple has neglected the Mac mini for some time now, and rumors have said that they want to do something huge for the next release...

What if Apple released a line of "solid state" computers under the "mini" name? MacBook mini, Mac mini? that were very inexpensive, included basic functionality out of the box (email, web, music, photos), and used the app store of all of their software?

Think super walled garden approach here? you can only install app store approved apps (meaning no viruses). Basically, a super simple, cheap computer, that grandma can use to email, IM, video chat, share photos, listen to music, play simple games, etc. Everything you can do on a computer now except run professional apps (Photoshop, FCP, etc).

Basically make the guts a glorified iPhone and call it a day. Sell them for cheap, and reap the profits from the app store...

That kind of lock in will not work that well and people will find ways to install windows on there and maybe even the full mac os.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

That kind of lock in will not work that well and people will find ways to install windows on there and maybe even the full mac os.

That's true, but it already happens w/ the iPhone? but you don't see that stopping the success of the iPhone/app store...
  • Reply 3 of 17
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    An Apple Netbook has to run a full OS X enviroment or it's just an oversized iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

An Apple Netbook has to run a full OS X enviroment or it's just an oversized iPhone.

That's exactly my point? an oversized iPhone that's very easy to use. Fully QWERTY keyboard, trackpad, USB ports, display port.

It would come w/ a version of iLife and the possibility to purchase iWork from the app store. Or you could use google docs in Safari. Very very simple.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Quote:

That's exactly my point? an oversized iPhone that's very easy to use. Fully QWERTY keyboard, trackpad, USB ports, display port.

It would come w/ a version of iLife and the possibility to purchase iWork from the app store. Or you could use google docs in Safari. Very very simple.

Would it be able to run unmodified Apple software (like iLife and iWork?)
  • Reply 6 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It would either be a big iphone in which case it wouldn't run desktop Leopard or any of the Apple apps as you'd need ARM versions.

Or, it would be a cut-down laptop like the Macbook Air except presumably much cheaper using maybe the Intel Atom in which case who's going to buy a MBA?

I actually don't know anyone who has bought a netbook. I've suggested it as an option but people usually end up buying full laptops second hand from ebay for half the price.

I don't think Leopard would run well at all on such low end hardware either.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    what are the market demographics for a netbook? i don't see it other than being a cheap laptop, what purpose, is it a second computer, for road warrior, new entries, and it has to be different enough not to canabalize the macbook, i still like the cheap plastic mabook with FW as a net book.

why not get apple to let the iphone talk with a foldable keyboard and call that the netbook, wouldn't apple have bigger margins on the iphone rather than a netbook?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    This won't cannibalize iPhone sales?*it's not a cell phone.

Apple will also make a TON of profit from the app store because this basically guarantees people buy the apps they need rather than pirate them from their friends/family.

The Netbook they would sell for like $500 and the desktop version for around $200-300. It would have fairly limited local storage (enough to install and run apps)? everything else could be stored online (iDisk). They probably would need a iTunes subscription model though for this to work...
  • Reply 9 of 17
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    No keyboard. At the very least it should be a removable, optional accessory. I want a small device with a flexible display which size I can easily adjust from small to large on the fly. Oh yes, and all multi-touch.

The technology is HERE....NOW. And competitors are rushing to try to come out with the first product in this configuration.

Apple is feeling the pressure to come out with such a product FIRST to CONTINUE to be five years ahead of the competition. It doesn't matter if it will be considered a glorified super cell phone or a micro laptop from the future. Apple can market it any way they want to.

The ultimate portable computing device is on its way!

All hail the new king of mobiles......

.......MACTOUCH FTW!!
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Apple just DO IT!. Listen to what Nike has to say. Hundreds of thousands will buy and maybe millions if it is useful enough. We have been waiting for Newton3 for a very very long time. There is room for a spare Mac that is less than a Mac since the iPhone is not sufficient as any sort of spare in case, the main Mac has to be away for repairs....
  • Reply 11 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

No keyboard. At the very least it should be a removable, optional accessory. I want a small device with a flexible display which size I can easily adjust from small to large on the fly. Oh yes, and all multi-touch.

The technology is HERE....NOW. And competitors are rushing to try to come out with the first product in this configuration.

Apple is feeling the pressure to come out with such a product FIRST to CONTINUE to be five years ahead of the competition. It doesn't matter if it will be considered a glorified super cell phone or a miro laptop from the future. Apple can market it any way they want to.

The ultimate portable computing device is on its way!

All hail the new king of mobiles......

.......MACTOUCH FTW!!

FTWuzzyWin!!

LINK
  • Reply 12 of 17
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Think super walled garden approach here? you can only install app store approved apps (meaning no viruses). ...

As opposed to all of those Mac viruses caused by software acquired by Web download and commercial CD/DVD distribution?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I suspect that is the answer, that is a larger more powerful Touch. The primary reason to stay with Mobile OS is that OS/X would be a total waste on a device with a relatively small screen. Mobile OS would need to be extended a bit to support multi tasking and a more complete driver set but that is about it. Given a larger screen Mobile OS can still deliver every needed app.

The common problem on this forum is that people confuse the need for a portable network appliance with the desire for a small notebook. They aren't at all the same thing, not even close. How the user would implement them is entirely different. I'm surprised that people can't look at the success of IPod Touch and IPhone and see that. These are solutions for life not work though they certainly can be leveraged in the work place.

Dave
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

Okay, more junk to carry around is the main reason they should NOT do a "netbook" type thing. I like the detachment that the constant connection prevents, I like some time for ME. I was a traveling, connected salesman for nearly four (4) years - always at the boss' beck and call (read: NO FREEDOM.) The last thing I want is that constant leash that this kind of thing is. The only gadget I carry when I'm on the road now is a iPod Classic with 20+ gigs of pure bliss and escapism and I love it. Just update the Mini with a better processor, better video and DON"T KILL THE FIREWIRE!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I would just like to point out that people were making exactly the same kind of arguments about what Apple "had" to do to respond to the "pressure" of other manufacturers with regards to tablet computers, several years ago.

It was said that if Apple didn't "answer" the tablet market, they would miss a golden opportunity. If I recall correctly, posters were even using big fonts, to convey the urgency of their beliefs.

And we can see how that all worked out.

Apple enters markets where it thinks it can make money by doing something better and charging for it. They do not enter markets just because somebody's selling a lot of cheap kit.

Apple may well extend the touch platform with different form factors, but OMG APPLE LOOKOUT NETBOOKS GET OFF YOUR ASS is not going to be the reason.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I would just like to point out that people were making exactly the same kind of arguments about what Apple "had" to do to respond to the "pressure" of other manufacturers with regards to tablet computers, several years ago.

It's why I largely ignore the tech press. We can go back even further and laugh about similar statements.

"What's Apple's strategy on Web Portals?"

"When is Apple going to have push technology?"

Now it's Web 2.0 being hyped to no end or it's social networks (I believe in social networking features but I do not think it's some sort of new paradigm)
  • Reply 17 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Think bigger iPod touch.

No no no, think portable touch screen Mac with its own App Store. It's obvious, you can see it coming a mile away. They want to totally separate this from the iPod touch and iPhone, and they will - IT WILL BE A Mac. A Mac, a Mac, a Mac.