Anyone still using the PB Ti 15"???

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am.

I've been using it for the last 5 years, it still works.

But lately, it's been crashing here and there and it looks like it's beginning to slow down.

So, what should I get to replace it?

That is, if I had the money to replace it, what would I get?

Just looking for suggestion or what other people have experienced when deciding on what to get.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I have a 15" TiBook 867mz purchased in November 2002 that I'm still using as a second computer for things like email, simple PhotoShop, FileMaker, Word and Excel. It's been rock solid with nary a problem. Lately, now that MacBook Pros are bring discounted, I've thought about replacing it but it still does all that I need from a second computer. It's hooked to a 20" flat panel for dual screen use.

As to what to get to replace your TiBook, you'll have to decide whether you need a lap top or would an iMac do. If you need a lap top then decided whether a MacBook would work for you or do you needed the added features of the MacBook Pro. Ultimate, you'll have to balance what you want with what you can afford.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I stopped using my G4 500 back in 2005 when the 17" 1.67 came out. I had problems with the 500 after the hard drive would get too full. I upgraded the hard drive twice. The first was a 7200 drive that got way too hot and caused many crashes. I found that keeping it less than 80% with a 5400 drive kept everything working great.

As for what to upgrade to is the old debate about desktops or laptops. Either way you go will be a huge improvement from what you have now. My kids seldom use our desktops any more. They prefer laptops which I think most people also do. Since you are using an old TI, the MacBook would do all you need and more.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Mine had a broken hinge on the right side, it managed to stay together till last month when I accidentally pushed the screen back a bit too far and bent the metal covering.

I decided to try pulling it apart to make a DIY wacom screen.... not much free time these days so it's still a work in progress...

I loved it even though it was a badly designed machine. The hinge blocks the ethernet plug and I had to always use a swiss army knife to release it. The paint peeled off from the trimming. Then there are the hinges.

I think they made the right decision to move to the aluminium powerbooks, as they are miles better in quality. They haven't changed much.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tecton View Post

Mine had a broken hinge on the right side, it managed to stay together till last month when I accidentally pushed the screen back a bit too far and bent the metal covering.

Exact same problem here. Right side too. PB 1 GHz, just coming up to it's 6th Birthday. The screen now has periodic distortion, not sure what's starting to go wrong there.

Quote:

I loved it even though it was a badly designed machine. The hinge blocks the ethernet plug and I had to always use a swiss army knife to release it. The paint peeled off from the trimming. Then there are the hinges.

Lots of cosmetic problems in my old girl too, including corrosion by the right side palm rest, but then she is getting on a bit now. The unibody's do show up the lack of rigidity in the Ti. My original HD died 18 months ago and I replaced the SuperDrive about 2 years ago.

Quote:

I think they made the right decision to move to the aluminium powerbooks, as they are miles better in quality. They haven't changed much.

I weakened a few weeks a ago and got a MPB 2.53. I was concerned about the hinge and screen issue finally overwhelming the Ti at an inconvenient moment, but mostly it was speed and access to Intel only apps that persuaded me to finally upgrade.

I have to say that although I do like the MPB and appreciate the significant speed increase and overall capacity of the machine as a whole relative to the Ti, this upgrade isn't nearly as impressive to me as when I went from a PB160 to the Ti 6 years ago. That was a huge leap for both hardware and OS reasons, but I also think I'm past being completely ga ga over hardware.

For me, one key advantage of the MBP over the MB is the screen. The 13 inch is just too cramped compared to the PowerBook. It was a no-brainer for me to get a portable rather than an iMac. I don't take my computer out of the house, but I love being able to use it wherever I want. Couldn't cope with being deskbound.

As an aside, I miss the PowerBook moniker.