Apple wanted out of tyranny of MacWorld - reports

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple's decision to end its participation at the annual Macworld Expo after next month's show is a sign the company wants to free itself from making product announcements on someone else's schedule and not an indication that its chief executive is in poor health, according to new reports.

The announcement Tuesday is similar to a move by which the Mac maker pulled out of the east coast Macworld conference several years ago following a disagreement with show organizer IDG, which sets the dates and locations for the events.

"This change is bound to once again raise questions about Jobs health," Needham & Co. analyst Charles Wolf told clients in a report on the matter. "Our reliable sources, which we spoke with this fall, indicated that Jobs is cancer free."

Instead, the analyst equated the move to an extension of a recent strategy that has seen the Cupertino-based company more frequently introduce new products at its own events, like the two held this fall that gave way to new iPods and Mac notebooks.

"I think Apple wants to get away from the tyranny of MacWorld where it is forced to introduce new products on IDG?s schedule, rather than its own," he said.

Keith Bachman, an analyst with BMO capital, had similar thoughts on the matter. In a note to his own clients, he said he believes Jobs will remain Apple's chief executive at least through the 2009 calendar year.

Instead, the analyst sees the charismatic chief's absence from this year's conference as a sign that the company has nothing special to announce and therefore has decided to scale back expectations ahead of time.

"We believe that not having Mr. Jobs lead the 2009 MacWorld does suggest [...] that this event will not be terribly meaningful," he said. "Hence, the downside in the stock for a disappointing MacWorld is probably realized near-term rather than at MacWorld."

Shares of Apple were trading down $7.09 (or more than 7%) to $88.34 in late morning trading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    We'll see. Apple won't likely have any announcements before MacWorld, but will they have any, some right afterwards, and will Steve be doing it, or someone else?

Skip
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Something smells bad.

Why wouldnt SJ get in front of a camera to explain this.

Thus, removing any specualtions on his health.

Man I love SJ.....He is the best.

DM
  • Reply 3 of 65
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    It seems to be a problem of Apple's own making, they've been announcing pretty major new products reasonably consistently using that stage at that event.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    I love Apple computers but not because of Steve Jobs. I think this is a smart move on Apple's part.

I think Steve Jobs is too closely knit to the brand of Apple (hence the drop in stock after the announcement). Steve won't be around forever so it's good to make the break and show off Apple for Apple's sake.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    Its the beginning of the end.

What a freakingly nightmarish and utter and absolutely devastating turn of events.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Its the beginning of the end.

What a freakingly nightmarish and utter and absolutely devastating turn of events.

/sarcasm
  • Reply 7 of 65
    crebcreb Posts: 276member
    People love to hate Apple. I wish Apple was a privately held company as I get tired of the investors and those here who demand this and that for a the sake of an effing dollar, euro, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    2009- the year apple stock goes to $3.50
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Shares of Apple were trading down $7.09 (or more than 7%) to $88.34 in late morning trading.

Misleading. Right now the whole market is down; even the car (foreign) manufacturers, unless you are getting a bail out like Ford and GM whose stock is up right now. (12/17/08:11:59 AM)
  • Reply 10 of 65
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Something smells bad.

Why wouldnt SJ get in front of a camera to explain this.

Thus, removing any specualtions on his health.

My guess is Jobs doesn't want to be involved in a shuck-and-jive presentation, which it will be without new products. This suggests Apple has outstanding commitments with component suppliers or is overstocked with components, because existing models are not selling well enough. Those commitments and supplies must be depleted before moving on to new models.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Misleading. Right now the whole market is down.

exactly

• Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

"I think Apple wants to get away from the tyranny of MacWorld where it is forced to introduce new products on IDG?s schedule, rather than its own,"

That statement is total Bollocks! Apple uses the MWExpo to announce and to show-off upcoming technologies and to publicly express support for other companies such as Intel, Microsoft, even Bungie software. Delivery schedules have always been set before the keynotes and products are sometimes launched a year after the keynote.

The SF MWExpo is a Mac geek's God sent event, where one can indulge himself in everything Mac for a change. It will be a disappointment to see it go.

Having said that, Steve Jobs has done his part and has done it damn well, he deserves to rest all he wants.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Talk and hysterics. Has anyone actually asked themselves as to what benefit Apple get from Macworld and whether the costs actually result in increased sales? all but the hardcore ignore expos - the average person has no interest in these geek feasts - you're preaching to the converted so there is no monetary justification to invest in even attending.

IMHO I prefer the way Sun does it - press release; reviews, online videos; if you're hard core - you'll watch them, if you're joe average, it isn't as though you'd be paying attention anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CREB View Post

People love to hate Apple. I wish Apple was a privately held company as I get tired of the investors and those here who demand this and that for a the sake of an effing dollar, euro, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

2009- the year apple stock goes to $3.50

Apple has over $25 per share in cash, so it is unlikely the stock will hit $3.50 per share

this year.

Going private is an interesting idea. With so much cash, no debt, and historically low

interest rates, there may never have been a better time for someone to try to take

Apple private through an LBO. I don't think it would be successful as long as SJ is

at the helm, but if he were to step down, there is nobody Apple could name to replace

him who would have the clout to make an LBO impossible. I suppose current management

could try it. Wouldn't a plausible rumor to that effect cause all the short sellers to soil

themselves?
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Misleading. Right now the whole market is down; even the car (foreign) manufacturers, unless you are getting a bail out like Ford and GM whose stock is up right now. (12/17/08:11:59 AM)

Ford isn't looking for a bailout. GM and Chrysler are.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Apple has over $25 per share in cash, so it is unlikely the stock will hit $3.50 per share

this year.

Going private is an interesting idea. With so much cash, no debt, and historically low

interest rates, there may never have been a better time for someone to try to take

Apple private through an LBO. I don't think it would be successful as long as SJ is

at the helm, but if he were to step down, there is nobody Apple could name to replace

him who would have the clout to make an LBO impossible. I suppose current management

could try it. Wouldn't a plausible rumor to that effect cause all the short sellers to soil

themselves?

Private companies don't make as much money.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    I always wondered why Apple would make their biggest new product announcements *right after* the biggest shopping season of the year. There is no upside at all and it guarantees ill will and disappointment from customers who just bought the product whose replacement was announced at MWSF.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    There's going to be a point in the keynote that Schiller videoconferences with Jobs, who announces the "one more thing" that nobody's expecting - and it will change the world we live in forever.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

I always wondered why Apple would make their biggest new product announcements *right after* the biggest shopping season of the year. There is no upside at all and it guarantees ill will and disappointment from customers who just bought the product whose replacement was announced at MWSF.

seriously?

why do people HAVE to slavishly buy so much stuff for one single day/event? xmas.

I guess Macworld is.. the same?

Free yourself from the Tyranny of xmas!
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Ford isn't looking for a bailout. GM and Chrysler are.

Ford has asked to be part of the bailout package. Chrysler is a private company and is not a publicly listed company.

"(Ford) CEO (Alan Mulally) says bailout would allow Ford to "be part of this economic recovery" http://alan%20mulally/