iPhone 3G outside US

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Has anyone tried to use iPhone 3G outside of US? I purchased it with the 2 yr AT&T contract. I am planning to visit India for a couple weeks. iPhone has teamed with a local service provider (Airtel). Due to the short nature of my travel, I was thinking of using a pre-paid SIM for the 2 week duration. I'm not expecting to call international, hence no need for the AT&T international roaming option.

Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinja View Post

Has anyone tried to use iPhone 3G outside of US? I purchased it with the 2 yr AT&T contract. I am planning to visit India for a couple weeks. iPhone has teamed with a local service provider (Airtel). Due to the short nature of my travel, I was thinking of using a pre-paid SIM for the 2 week duration. I'm not expecting to call international, hence no need for the AT&T international roaming option.

Anyone with a similar experience? Thanks in advance for your responses.

I have done quite a bit of overseas travel with my UK iPhone.

Using data overseas is eye-wateringly expensive. The perfect solution is to unlock your phone, and use a local pre-paid Sim card. But unlocking the 3G is not possible yet.

C.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I have done quite a bit of overseas travel with my UK iPhone.

Using data overseas is eye-wateringly expensive. The perfect solution is to unlock your phone, and use a local pre-paid Sim card. But unlocking the 3G is not possible yet.

C.

Thanks C. I figured that was the case after speaking to quite a few local folks. I'm surprised though, that even after signing a 2 yr contract, AT&T or Apple wouldn't unlock the phone for me. Anyway, I heard the unlock is being released on Dec 31. I hope I have my phone ready before I travel . Thanks again for responding.