Could there be a multi-touch input device for desktop Macs?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Since purchasing my new MacBook, the ONLY time that I've attached a mouse is when I'm in a hotel room, eating something like a Cousin's sandwich. The mouse is just to keep me from getting food on my MacBook's touchpad. I should mention that prior to this MacBook, I ALWAYS used a mouse with my previous MacBook.

I really didn't use the touchpad much prior to this MacBook with the multi-touch trackpad. But now, I really like the touchpad. I don't need a mouse, at least not for my Mac usage. I'm sure that someone like a graphics person would need one.

That got me to wishing that Apple would create a separate multi-touch trackpad to use on my iMac. I have no clue if this could be done, or if so, if it could be wireless or if it had to be usb, but I would get one as fast as I could. The three-finger swiping stuff just flat out ROCKS!

Maybe we'll see one in early January!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I'd like to see the number pad on the desktop keyboard replaced with a nice trackpad, just like the Macbook's. That would let Apple ditch the Mighty Mouse, too.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I wouldn't mind seeing such a device. The new Macbooks may have some flaws in other areas, but I really liked the trackpad.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is still some time away yet, but I see the future of desktop computer input being a 16:9 / 16:10 touch screen keyboard on your desk. Like a large iPhone, wired only, USB. To drag the mouse you use one finger on the screen, and you can type quickly thanks to advanced spell correction built into the desktop OS. Changing the keyboard layout would just be a setting away, and what's more the keyboard could be custom fitted for the application in use. The dock could be across the top of the keyboard etc.

Could you imagine opening Safari and having the toolbar buttons appear on the keyboard?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This is still some time away yet, but I see the future of desktop computer input being a 16:9 / 16:10 touch screen keyboard on your desk. Like a large iPhone, wired only, USB. To drag the mouse you use one finger on the screen, and you can type quickly thanks to advanced spell correction built into the desktop OS. Changing the keyboard layout would just be a setting away, and what's more the keyboard could be custom fitted for the application in use. The dock could be across the top of the keyboard etc.

Could you imagine opening Safari and having the toolbar buttons appear on the keyboard?

I agree, though it'll need to have good tactile feedback of some kind to function as a desktop keyboard.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I agree, though it'll need to have good tactile feedback of some kind to function as a desktop keyboard.

Yeah, there's always that issue too. We'll see.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Actually, I was thinking of a separate device, about the size of the iPhone, that would REPLACE my mouse completely. I wasn't thinking about the keyboard, because my kybd and mouse are both wireless. It could, however, be part of the keyboard.