Question about broadband TV (TV via ethernet)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi Tech-savvy friends.

This is not related to Apple really, but I hope you can give a little input to this one: I have a fiber connection in this new apartment i moved in to. The fiber company offers high speed internet (up to 100 mbit up+down) and digital TV with some HD channels as well.

So the TV signal comes through an ethernet hub. To make this work i need to order a TV-box to connect to my LCD TV. The TV-Box connects to the TV with an HDMI cable.

This fiber connection is supposed to be the future, and the top-notch connection you can get.

But the thing is: I dont really see any advantages getting the TV through the fiber: You need a clumsy box as a tuner, and it is really slow to start up, and the channel shifts are damn slow, and jaggy.

With a normal cable TV connection you could just plug in the cable, and get digital TV and HD right away using the built-in digital tuner in the TV.

I don't have a regular cable connection to the building, but it seems it would be SO much smarter. Internet speeds with cable modems are also comparable to the fiber (up to 20mbit) How come an old fashioned cobber based connection beats the crap out of the top notch fiber??

Is it possible in any way to avoid the tv-box, and use your built in tv tuner, when getting tv from broadband? Any chance for ethernet enabled tv's soon?

Whats your experiences with broad-band TV? I just cant see the advantage...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    That box is there to manage the DRM and maybe offer DVR features.

Frankly I'm disillusioned with the cable and satellite companies.

I have FiosTV and Internet and the HD artifacts on almost all stations and the STB box from

motorola is just another device I don't need.

My future is going to be
    1. Just the fiber connection for internet.

2. Netflix for Blu-ray, DVD and downloads.

3. iTunes and Apple TV for more download action

4. OTA with a good indoor digital antenna.

This basically will run me Internet fees + 18 bucks a month for Netflix + a la carte rentals/purchases yet the flexibility I'll have will be more than what any provider can offer.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That box is there to manage the DRM and maybe offer DVR features.

Yes that is true, but modern tvs just have this card reader slot to manage that stuff (well of course not the dvr, but i don't need that). So you can avoid the box completely using normal digital cable connection.

I guess all you would need is an ethernet port on your tv to get the mpeg stream. I wonder why no tvs have this?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Yes that is true, but modern tvs just have this card reader slot to manage that stuff (well of course not the dvr, but i don't need that). So you can avoid the box completely using normal digital cable connection.

I guess all you would need is an ethernet port on your tv to get the mpeg stream. I wonder why no tvs have this?

Some HDTV will be supporting this

http://www.tru2way.com/

http://www.i4u.com/article17346.html (Panasonic )
  • Reply 4 of 4
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Some HDTV will be supporting this

http://www.tru2way.com/

http://www.i4u.com/article17346.html (Panasonic )

Thanks for the links.

But it looks like the tru2way concept is also aimed at a normal cable connection, not IP TV.

I am looking to buy a Sony bravia 32" KDL-32W4000. With this tv i could eliminate the box, with a normal cable solution. But i only have IPTV.

Maybe the next generation of HDTVs will have ethernet ports, as IPTV becomes more common?