Rumoured New Mighty Mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Interesting rumour, if true:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10...orsPicksArea.0

Quote:

The report notes that a 2007 patent application calls for an "arbitrary shaped grippable member" that would utilize positioning and multitouch detection to interpret a user's movement. Basically, it appears that the button would be replaced by a multitouch trackpad. "In essence, it would act as one seamless area from which a user could scroll and pan by dragging a finger over the device's surface," the report says.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    A lot of bull, someone made a mockup and this rumor started off from nothing. Even if true it's too little too late. Sorry Apple, moved on to other mice got used to them and don't intend changing back.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

The report notes that a 2007 patent application calls for an "arbitrary shaped grippable member"

Doesn't Ann Summers already have that patent?

I do think the Mighty Mouse would be good to go solid metal even though it will be cold to the touch in winter (in countries where it's cold in winter) and a touch surface is inevitable so that desktop users can see the benefit.

I'd rather they move away from the pill-shape design though. Plus, if it has multi-touch, do they need the awkward side button(s)? - I use brackets because it's really 2 buttons that Apple decided would be quite smart if it acted like one button and ends up being quite useless.

I think a flat surface would be much better for touch input than a curved one too.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I think this is one of those rumours that's part true and part false.

Apple has a habit of gradually introducing new technologies across their product line. They'll start with something like iSight in the iMac, and move it to all Macs that have screens. They'll start with infrared remotes and Front Row in the iMac, and then move it across their product line.

I suspect the same thing is going to happen with multi-touch. Desktop users are currently totally deprived of that new technology, even though all notebook users (with then notable exception of the old white plastic MacBook) have access to all newest multi-touch features).

So I suspect Apple is working on a way to bring this to the desktop. The most logical place to start for this is the mouse. However, I'm not sure it'll be the way the blogger visualized.