PowerMac Dual 2.7 technical issue. Not quite 'current technology', i know.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I experienced something very scary with my PowerMac which is running Tiger and all software up to the latest update. I put my computer to sleep (or so I thought) before running out to finish my Christmas shopping. When I got home, I could hear that it had not actually fallen asleep, yet I could not get the screen to come back up on my monitor. So, eventually I just held down the power button on the front of the tower until it turned off. When I turned it back on, it sounded like things were going as usual, except that I got nothing up on the screen again. I also noticed that my USB audio input device had not lit up (which happens at a certain point during computer start-up when it gets its power from the USB port it is plugged into). Nothing was happening, so, again, I had to hold down the power button on the front, and than turn it on again. Luckily, it started up normally this time, although, I do believe it was 'revving' louder than usual during the start-up.

Once my desktop mess appeared, I noticed something unusual. There was (and still is) a new folder on my desktop called "Untitled CD", and the icon was the typical new folder, except for the big yellow and black radioactive symbol on it. This folder also appeared in the left of the new finder windows that I open (right with my Documents, Music, and Pictures, etc.). There is another radioactive symbol after its title in this window.

What the heck does that mean? And what does all of it mean? I am afraid to put my computer to sleep again, or turn it off for that matter. I am bout to repair permissions (as if that had anything to do with it), but other than that and backing up super important data, I don't want to mess with anything until I know what the heck happened.

Thank you so much! Happy Holidays!

Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz 6.5gigs of RAM, running Mac OS 10.4.11

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,228moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleComputer View Post

Once my desktop mess appeared, I noticed something unusual. There was (and still is) a new folder on my desktop called "Untitled CD", and the icon was the typical new folder, except for the big yellow and black radioactive symbol on it. This folder also appeared in the left of the new finder windows that I open (right with my Documents, Music, and Pictures, etc.). There is another radioactive symbol after its title in this window.

What the heck does that mean? And what does all of it mean?

It;s just a burn folder. You can burn CDs and DVDs from the Finder. I agree the radioactive symbol probably wasn't Apple's best icon choice but that's all it is. You can just delete the folder.

A force reboot can do some quirky things on occasions.