How many Apps can an iPhone hold?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have 9 full pages of apps on my iPhone. I tried downloading an app from the AppStore today &

it asked for my password & then nothing happened. I went back to the AppStore & the icon says,

"INSTALLED".

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

I have 9 full pages of apps on my iPhone. I tried downloading an app from the AppStore today &

it asked for my password & then nothing happened. I went back to the AppStore & the icon says,

"INSTALLED".

Anyone have any ideas?

Apparently 9 screens is the maximum.

If you paid for it you can download it again for free, so you could delete and redownload some of your Apps as required.

I'm hoping Apple address this issue with an update, on jailbroken iPhone's it's possible to organize applications in folders.

I'm up to 8.5 screens.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    129 seems to be the limit for apps you download given that Apple's ones take some space but it's 148 total:

http://www.148apps.com/about/

http://www.teleread.org/blog/2008/12...148-app-limit/

Perhaps Apple need a different storage area for webclips and they should make an itunes directory for ebooks so you can get as many as you like.

Sliding up and down to shift pages would be fine and should give you 10785 apps if they limit the vertical scrolling to 9 too. Even if they had a 5 scroll vertical limit, you could still get 721 apps.

I'm up to 2 pages, just. I have 2 apps installed on mine. What apps are you guys finding that are so interesting? I've looked for ages on the store and most of the apps look terrible.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    There's a simple solution for this and that's for Apple to allow you to create folders to put your applications into. Somehow it seems completely unintuative to me to have to hunt through up to 9 pages to find the app you want, as opposed to just going straight to the folder where you know it'll be.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

There's a simple solution for this and that's for Apple to allow you to create folders to put your applications into. Somehow it seems completely unintuative to me to have to hunt through up to 9 pages to find the app you want, as opposed to just going straight to the folder where you know it'll be.

It's a good idea but how do you move an app out of a folder? Also, do you limit it to a one level hierarchy or can you have folders within folders?

I can see why they went the flat icon route because it's easy to see what apps you have. I agree that the page flipping idea is not very good. I hate using the icon view on the App Store as it's the same way. I didn't notice there was a browse link on the itunes App Store before, which gives you a much more efficient way to browse apps in a list view.

Perhaps if there was a view like the app store or even your contacts where you just scroll down the list and they can be listed alphabetically or in the icon view order or by popularity. Popularity is quite good as the apps you use most will automatically move nearer the top of the list.

Even having 9 pages on the iphone is cumbersome to have to get to the last page. You should be able to reach any app on the iphone within 2 seconds. the letter view on the ipod app is great. You just hit the letter and it jumps to say songs beginning with 's' and then you just scroll through that section. It's very quick.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It's a good idea but how do you move an app out of a folder? Also, do you limit it to a one level hierarchy or can you have folders within folders?

I can see why they went the flat icon route because it's easy to see what apps you have. I agree that the page flipping idea is not very good. I hate using the icon view on the App Store as it's the same way. I didn't notice there was a browse link on the itunes App Store before, which gives you a much more efficient way to browse apps in a list view.

Perhaps if there was a view like the app store or even your contacts where you just scroll down the list and they can be listed alphabetically or in the icon view order or by popularity. Popularity is quite good as the apps you use most will automatically move nearer the top of the list.

Even having 9 pages on the iphone is cumbersome to have to get to the last page. You should be able to reach any app on the iphone within 2 seconds. the letter view on the ipod app is great. You just hit the letter and it jumps to say songs beginning with 's' and then you just scroll through that section. It's very quick.

You'd press and hold the icon you wanted to move, and it would start to shake as usual. Without taking your finger off the screen, you'd then be able to drag the icon to the new 'back' option, which would take you back to the previous page with the icon still hanging on. Once you'd got to where you wanted the icon to go, you'd simply let go of it. I think there are probably many different 'elegant' ways this can be achieved.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Wow, that limit is surprising, given that there are now at least 10,000 apps on the app store. I'm up to six full pages!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I know it's an old post but, I have the iphone 3GS and have managed to fill 11 pages and I continued to download apps. They don't show up on any pages, but I have found that I can search for, find them, and launch them. Just don't forget what they are called.