What's wrong with my mighty mouse??

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Greetings and Merry Christmass. I just got a brand new Mighty Mouse Wireless to use with my MacBook Pro Unibody but... what's wrong with it? Is it broken?

First of all I thought there was some problem because it wasn't recognizing some of the right clicks. Then I realized that it doesn't recognize the right click at all if I'm touching (even slightly) the left button. Is very very annoying. Is it normal? Do I have to get used to it or just have it replaced with another model?

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    That's how it works I'm afraid and why lots of people have replaced them with better mice. It only has one physical clicker and uses contact to determine which side is being pressed. If you don't lift off completely then it doesn't know which side to click. This leads you to have to hover your fingers over the mouse and subsequently some hand strain after a while.

I recommend you buy an alternative mouse - the mighty mouse also has issues where the scroll ball just stops working, usually in one direction. You then have to clean the ball. It's just not a well designed mouse at all.

Look at the selection from Logitech and Microsoft as their mice are far better. The Logitech VX Nano is a very highly rated mouse. I personally prefer the notebook mice like the nano as they move really quickly across high-resolution screens.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I have a Logitech V470 bluetooth notebook mouse and it's very nice indeed. The battery life is amazing (5 months and counting on the original AA batteries).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    DId you enable right clicks in the System Preferences?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    the v470 is the one i have and is very nice. got it for my macbook cause i was tired of using the trackpad and also ordered an apple bluetooth keyboard because i knew i'd eventually set it up like a desktop. both work great.. i just didn't like the feel of apple's mouse. didn't know it was such a pain to "right click" with it, but now that i do i'm even more happy i decided to go with logitech
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Engine[ITA] View Post

Greetings and Merry Christmass. I just got a brand new Mighty Mouse Wireless to use with my MacBook Pro Unibody but... what's wrong with it? Is it broken?

First of all I thought there was some problem because it wasn't recognizing some of the right clicks. Then I realized that it doesn't recognize the right click at all if I'm touching (even slightly) the left button. Is very very annoying. Is it normal? Do I have to get used to it or just have it replaced with another model?

Thanks in advance..

If you keep using it you'll get used to not resting your fingers on the right side of the mouse. I did the very same thing when the mighty mouse came out and now its not an issue at all.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What's right with it?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ireland View Post

what's right with it?

lame!