Problem with OS X 10.4.11 to 10.5

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey all. I'm a Windows user trying to get into the Mac swing of things. I purchased a G4 igloo iMac (running 10.4.11) from a refurb company, and got it super cheap since it didn't come with its own monitor. I currently have it connected to my TV as a monitor.

For Christmas, I got a 10.5 upgrade DVD, which states that it requires 10.4 or higher to upgrade to 10.5 (plus a few other catagories of basic upgrade, like RAM, that I do have on the computer). No problem, I think, and it says all I have to do is stick it into the computer to upgrade. I put it in, and I get to the "Select an language" screen. I pick English, and then this:

Looks like it's working.

Oh wait, maybe not.

The next picture is the info screen that shows me I do, indeed, have OS X 10.4.11

System shot.

And this is the little fella itself (may help in identifying some problem, I dunno).

iGloo.

And the actual install disk.

Thank you for your time! Ask if you need any more information.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    That computer looks great. They are a lot bigger than they look in pictures though. I was a bit surprised how much bigger they were in real life.

I don't think I've heard it called the igloo before but it's quite a good name.

Concerning the upgrade, try these steps to bypass the check:

http://muzso.hu/2008/02/21/how-to-in...-without-tiger

You should always backup before upgrading btw. If you have an external drive, clone your internal to it with Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks a ton, that seemed to have done it! (it's checking the disk right now, I'll post again if something happens)
  • Reply 3 of 4
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Out of interest, what is the desktop picture you had on third screenshot?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Some random background I have.

Now it's giving me an error about not being able to create a "Base Image" or "base package" (sorry, I just restarted the system and can't see it in front of me anymore). Any tips on that?

(I'll update this when I see the error again)

Edit: It might not happen again, I'm about a quarter through the installation without any problems.