controlling itunes remotely

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Currently I have a mac mini being used as my media center. On it I have it streaming my itunes music etc... off of a time capsule.

When I want music played throughout my house (different zones using several airport express), I either use my iphone or some of the ipod touches I have laying around in different parts of the house. To play the itunes music I use the remote software that I downloaded via the app store.

The problem is this....

When we are sitting at our computers, and we want to control itunes on the media center, we have to do remote desktop to the mac mini, do screen share and change the song etc..

Is there a way to have a widget or something on the macs that mimics the remote software that is available on the iphone or ipod touches?

thanks

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dage007 View Post

Is there a way to have a widget or something on the macs that mimics the remote software that is available on the iphone or ipod touches?

thanks

David

There is an iPod touch program called iRemote I think. Scan for remote in iApps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corey View Post

There is an iPod touch program called iRemote I think. Scan for remote in iApps.

I have that application on my iphone and ipod touch. I am looking for an application similar to it to put on the mac. Or to use as a widget if we don't happen to have our iphone or ipod touch on us.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dage007 View Post

Currently I have a mac mini being used as my media center. On it I have it streaming my itunes music etc... off of a time capsule.

When I want music played throughout my house (different zones using several airport express), I either use my iphone or some of the ipod touches I have laying around in different parts of the house. To play the itunes music I use the remote software that I downloaded via the app store.

The problem is this....

When we are sitting at our computers, and we want to control itunes on the media center, we have to do remote desktop to the mac mini, do screen share and change the song etc..

thanks

David

I take it that there is no IR sensor on this mini?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    cyko95cyko95 Posts: 391member
    What about just using something like VNC to remote into the other system? Would that be an option?