Acrobat back to Preview...?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I made the mistake a week-ago of just clicking "okay" to a dialog when I double-clicked a .PDF - it asked me if I wanna make Acrobat the default application for viewing this type of file... without thinking I just clicked "okay".

How do I change it back...? I tried the "Control+click" telling it to always open with... but that only works on THAT specific file... not on the file TYPE globally.

Anyone know how I change it back to Preview App. as the default for .PDF files...?

Thanks.

- Scott

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Sounds like you have to change the MIMI file types. I don't know what program you use, so I can't give you step-by-step instructions. In netscape, it is in Edit->Preferences->Applications.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    MIMI file types? :confused:

Are you refering to MIME types? The Finder doesn't use that kind of information for binding applications.

Scott: Do this. Select a PDF in the Finder and choose Get Info from the file menu. In the 'Open with' section, choose Preview. Click the 'Change All...' button. Done!

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    OH, Netscape 7 asks me the same thing when it encounters an unknown file format. I didn't know it was in the finder.

"Woops."-J.A.'s Mafia!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>Scott: Do this. Select a PDF in the Finder and choose Get Info from the file menu. In the 'Open with' section, choose Preview. Click the 'Change All...' button. Done!

[ 09-10-2002: Message edited by: Brad ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Just what the doctor ordered... Thanks so much!

( I knew I saw it somewhere...)

- Scott
  • Reply 5 of 5
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    You can also control-click an item and hold down option to change "Open with..." to "Always open with...".

Same solution, just another nice way of doing it.