ftp server? :

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
was wondering what's the most popular way/program to use for ftp serving on X?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Apple menu -> System Preferences...

Sharing

FTP Access

• Reply 2 of 13
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    what folders are shared on the ftp when it's turned on?

can you use it outside your LAN?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Well, everything is shared, but the permissions you have set on your folders are followed exactly. So, say you've got a user on your Mac named "john" who has read/write access only to his home directory, read access to only a handful of other folders (Applications and Library, probably), and no access to other users' home folders. If john ftp'd in, he'd have the exact same access. He could download from anywhere he has read access and upload to anywhere he has write access.

This is where user and group management and permission settings are immensely important. You could create a special user just for ftp'ing that has no access to anything on your drive except a custom directory.

Can you ftp in from outside your LAN? Well, that depends entirely on how the LAN is set up. There are far too many variables to give a definitive yes or no. In short, if you can access that Mac directly by any means (telnet, ssh, Remote Access, etc) then you should also be able to ftp into it.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    I have compiled a short howto that details the steps to set up the ftp-server and stop it from serving files you want to keep private.

Please find it at <a href="http://www.hierundda.de/scratchpad/ftpusershowto.html"; target="_blank"> my site</a>.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    1) Unlike OS X 10. 1, Jag (10.2) uses (NetBSDs) lukemftpd, not the BSD ftpd, right?

2) ftpchroot doesn't work in Jag, right? I get errors.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: dstranathan ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Smircle:

<strong>I have compiled a short howto that details the steps to set up the ftp-server and stop it from serving files you want to keep private.

Please find it at <a href="http://www.hierundda.de/scratchpad/ftpusershowto.html"; target="_blank"> my site</a>.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Handy docs, but they are obolete in 10.2...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    couldn't i just set it up to where i share everything in ONE specific folder?

maybe a 3rd party ftp server prog. would be easier......

instead of going thru all the permissions on the cpu to find out which one's I want certain people to access.

i don't think you're able to set up "accounts" via the sharing panel via jaguar...........???
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Maybe you didn't understand... it's really quite easy to set it up in OS X.

Create a folder somewhere. Name it FTP or something. Now go into System prefs and set up a new user. Call it ftpuser or something. Once that's set up, go back to that FTP folder and get info on it. Change the permissions on that folder so that the only person that has access is ftpuser. Turn on FTP access, and you're good to go. When somebody logs in via FTP, they can log in as ftpuser and have access to everything in that folder. Easy as pie.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    If you make the user you create the only user not in the /etc/ftpusers file then only that user can ftp to the system.

Dobby

Sorry forgot to ad the 'not in'

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: dobby ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 13
    by doing so, it would add another folder into the "users/home" directory..... and that would happen per user I set up.....

is there a cleaner method of doing this?
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    The home directory location can be moved if you also make the appropriate change in NetInfo.

None of our users have a directory in /Users/abc but to a network drive that gets mounted during startup.

Dobby.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    so you can point multiple accounts to the same directory?

but still, wouldn't the login screen show all the users supposedly "on" the machine?

that sound annoying
  • Reply 13 of 13
    fyi :::

i'ver tried crushftp & rumpus....

both are way ugly & hard [but possible] to configure in jaguar........