Odd G3 I book behavior

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
One very common problem led to another strange one ! I installed the HP "printer installer" CD, and apparently successfully installed the printer software, (having successfully printed one sheet out fine.)

In a few moments, I see on the desktop, below the CD icon, the "installer" desktop icon and "readme" icon. I'm ready to remove the original installer CD and go on with other duties. I get the traditional message that the disk cannot be removed because it is in use. (Kinda stuck there. I am writing this on my old IMac next to the Ibook).

Before concluding this basic forum question, I look over and the Ibook has gone to sleep. It appears to be in permanent sleep. It will not re-awaken with the touch of any key. It is not on battery, but on power.

After removing the replugging the power connector, the only thing on the computer that has any indication of life, is the ring on the connector lights up green, then reverts to orange. There is absolutely no other activity with any other keystroke, and the screen remains totally black. No life at all.

I do remember, while typing this, a very brief spin of the optical drive, still holding the HP printer installer disk, but I didn't look over at the Ibook at the time.

What would you suggest I do next? Puzzled. Thanks in advance, Brad

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hold down the power key for several seconds.. see if it'll "shut down" then re-start it.

If that doesn't work: unplug it, remove the battery for a few seconds, then put the battery back in and re-start (plug it in if you want).

If neither of those gets it up and running, you've got more severe problems.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thank you King for taking the time to give me the big picture. I tried, and the machine I believe is kaputzky. No action topside, three out of four green lights bright on the battery side.

Nothing improved with the power button or temporary battery removal. Called a friend, said, "don't buy used again, with computers, it's sort of like buying used underwear". Friend also said, "once battery goes, so goes the machine." (Not sure how accurate that is.)

Unfortunately, like many, don't have an easy $grand or 2 to give up this time of year. Nevertheless, time to think about a replacement. Just can't bring myself to enter the dark side of the PeeCee \

Thanks again King, I'll be back on the forum during happier times.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cahoon66 View Post

... Friend also said, "once battery goes, so goes the machine." (Not sure how accurate that is.) ...

Your friend's full of shitzky. Batteries wear out with time no matter what. Not so with the "computer", Though things can break.

Sounds like you need to get your machine "diagnosed" by a pro, rather than via a forum.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    <<< Your friend's full of shitzky. >>>

OK, King, ya made me smile on that quote

( I was led astray thinking that a sudden battery death somehow does perma-damage to the HD ) I see now that it's doubtful.

I better stop listening to this person & also thinking that there are 3 L's in the word gullible.

Thanks aginsky.

Over and out for now.