Second case maker points to 'iPhone nano'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With just days to go before the annual Macworld trade show, a second case maker has added references to an iPhone nano to its website.

Well-known case designer Vaja has joined XSKN with an update to its web catalog implying that it plans to deliver protective garments for an Apple-developed iPhone nano in the near future.

The single reference to the product links customers to a web form where they can "sign up for the upcoming release" of its "iPhone nano cases."

As MacRumors points out, it's unlikely that case makers are privy to advanced information on future Apple products, and hence Vaja may simply be attempting to jump in on the recent hype surrounding the matter.

That said, case makers with contacts at Apple's off-shore manufacturing facilities may be able to obtain specifications for the company's future handheld products through unconventional means.

XSKN is one example of a case maker that was recognized earlier this year (1, 2) when it began selling protective holders for both the iPhone 3G and fourth-generation iPod nano before the specifications for those products were made public by Apple.

Meanwhile, grey marketers in Taiwan are already selling devices reminiscent of what an iPhone nano would presumably look like. Photos of those devices were published by AppleInsider on Friday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They point without fingers
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Apple would usually give dimensions of upcoming products to their trusted case manufacturer at goincase.com

Vaja has never been one of those companies, but maybe it's different now, Apple seems to be more lax these days.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    The only question that remains is what Apple will charge for this little iPhone. I'm guessing $49.99 for the 4 GB model.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Apple would usually give dimensions of upcoming products to their trusted case manufacturer at goincase.com

Vaja has never been one of those companies, but maybe it's different now, Apple seems to be more lax these days.

Stop guessing.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Meh. Bandwagon jumpers.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    If this is true how the heck does Apple expect people to type on what would be such a tiny screen???
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Meh. Bandwagon jumpers.

Agreed. I'm going to so enjoy when this rumor dies at Macworld next week. Sort of wish the netbook rumors were more fervent so they could be put to rest too.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    EVERYONE continues to assume that a Smaller iPhone would be sold for less money, when in fact, smaller, state-of-the-art technology is typically demanding higher sale price.

I would not put it past Apple, now that the current top-of-the-line iPhone, sells for $299.00, to come out with a slick, very powerful ARM-based Nano, pulling in $499 and $599+ prices again.

Due to it's processing power, miniaturization and overall sleekness (all the standards included, 3G, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.), the Nano will be primarily driven by voice recognition instead of touch.

Would not surprise me one bit, with Apples ever increasing desire, to set the standard.

I could see Phil pulling it out of a Deck Of Cards box.

Of course not with the showmanship Steve would have provided, but still a nice launching pad for Phil.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

EVERYONE continues to assume that a Smaller iPhone would be sold for less money, when in fact, smaller, state-of-the-art technology is typically demanding higher sale price.

I would not put it past Apple, now that the current top-of-the-line iPhone, sells for $299.00, to come out with a slick, very powerful ARM-based Nano, pulling in $499 and $599+ prices again.

Due to it's processing power, miniaturization and overall sleekness (all the standards included, 3G, GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.), the Nano will be primarily driven by voice recognition instead of touch.

Would not surprise me one bit, with Apples ever increasing desire, to set the standard.

I could see Phil pulling it out of a Deck Of Cards box.

Of course not with the showmanship Steve would have provided, but still a nice launching pad for Phil.

Voice is possible, yet International MAC OS X is not there yet. Maybe only English Speaking iPhone Nano. Apple can't even get the Russian language right on iPhone. So many mistakes and bugs.

Can't wait to LOL at Phil. He's usually funny....... lol funny lookin'
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

The only question that remains is what Apple will charge for this little iPhone. I'm guessing $49.99 for the 4 GB model.

• Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They point without fingers

the iPhone nano (monkey bucket edition) for people with fingerless gloves.

you KNOW you don't want one
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Meh. Bandwagon jumpers.

yeah everyone seems to have gotten a bandwagon jumper for xmas
  • Reply 13 of 19
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    It will come with a full size Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which you will store in a hat which also serves as a mousepad.

Scissors and glue will be included because Apple has listened to people asking for cut and paste.

I haven't found evidence yet but I'm sure a protective case in the form of a rainhat will be leaked any day now.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It will come with a full size Bluetooth keyboard and mouse which you will store in a hat which also serves as a mousepad.

Scissors and glue will be included because Apple has listened to people asking for cut and paste.

I haven't found evidence yet but I'm sure a protective case in the form of a rainhat will be leaked any day now.

CONFIRMED!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post

Well maybe, but that's just semiotics.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Really, what would Vaja gain by posting a sign-up for an upcoming case release based on shaky rumors? A company like XSKN, I could believe, would be in the rumor band-wagon business, but Vaja? Vaja isn't XSKN and they don't exactly make cheap products... I own a leather iPod case by them, and it is top notch quality, and I find it hard to believe Vaja (of any case manufacturer) would be gearing up their customers for an iPhone nano case if their information weren't pretty creditable.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    rats.....I missed the bandwagon once again.....
  • Reply 18 of 19
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I could understand that there's space above and below the screen that could be removed to make the phone less like a chunky smartphone and even more of a cool hand-held.

But it's pretty darn cool right now. Compacting the electronics is going to raise costs just when they are getting the economies of scale going.

And what about battery life?

If they make extra space, wouldn't they fill it with a better camera instead? And maybe squeedge in a bit more battery goo?
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

the iPhone nano (monkey bucket edition) for people with fingerless gloves.

you KNOW you don't want one

Yeah I don't, my two iPhone 3G's will do me for now.