Purchasing advice: new or old MBP for X-Plane

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I'd like to upgrade my current MBP, which has a Radeon X1600 graphics card. Specifically, I'd like better X-Plane performance. I've looked over results of Cinebench tests but it's hard to compare systems because they often have different OS installed and usually don't tell you how much graphics ram the card has.

My question is, would i be better getting a new alum MBP with 256Mb 9600M GT graphics or look for an older MBP with say a 512Mb 8600M GT card? How would the two compare and would the graphics ram make a big difference? I know you can load higher resolution textures with more graphics ram. Does anyone know if you can get the maximum scenery detail in X-plane on a 512Mb 8600 and is it playable?

Cheers,

S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I'll say the new one is better if budget is never a problem.

The reason is the new MBPs doesn't only have new graphics chips, but also newer CPUs with faster FSB and faster memories. In general, a higher-clocked CPU with a faster FSB and memories should give you better results on gaming than the 256MB extra VRAM you get from the older generation MBPs.

However, if you are going to hook up a very huge monitor to play the game in very high resolution, the extra VRAM might serve you better from everything I've heard. Also, if you plan to save money on memories, the older generation MBPs that still use DDR2 memory might be a better choice.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Great, thanks for your advice. I wasn't aware of the new faster RAM. Unfortunately, money is always a problem : Or I'd get the 512Mb unibody MBP
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Same in my case.

Couldn't get the unibody MacBook because DDR3 memories are still too expensive for me....... sigh
  • Reply 4 of 4
    If x-plane performance is your major concern.... get the machine with more VRAM.

X-Plane plays fine on the older GPU, but 512 makes a HUGE difference over 256. (With regards to enabling more rendering options and still maintaining acceptable frame-rates.)

While I haven't actually used the new MacBooks, I'll go out on a limb here and say that X-Plane will perform better with a 512MB 8600 than it will with only 256MB on a 9600.