MBP refresh

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
hiya

its nearly 09 and i need a new laptop, and so i was wondering when they might refresh the MBP either with a the possibility of a quad processor (for snow leopard) or just a general improvement

any info about when or what will happen is welcome

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spikeme View Post

hiya

its nearly 09 and i need a new laptop, and so i was wondering when they might refresh the MBP either with a the possibility of a quad processor (for snow leopard) or just a general improvement

any info about when or what will happen is welcome

Yesterday Intel released some new mobile quad cores. I think they may show up in the 17" but not in the 15" for a while. Maybe it will be offered in the Apple store as a BTO option in January.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Here's a story link I read about a possible quad-core macbook pro coming out:

http://apcmag.com/apple_prepping_a_q...acbook_pro.htm

I desperately want this to be true. Hopefully with a Bluray burner superdrive option.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Let me ammend my first comment; Intel released 1 quad core mobile processor (Core 2 based @ 2GHz) and 3 new mobile processors that are dual core, 2.53GHz, 2.66GHz, and a 2.93GHz.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mabmab Posts: 14member
    a bestbuy apple genius told me that they have already started receiving supplies. He said he didnt have one on hand but it is similar to the 15" MBP, just has a bigger screen

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Let me ammend my first comment; Intel released 1 quad core mobile processor (Core 2 based @ 2GHz) and 3 new mobile processors that are dual core, 2.53GHz, 2.66GHz, and a 2.93GHz.

• Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Riiight. Right now, Intel has three mobile quad core processors: the (new) Q9000 (2.0GHz), the Q9100 (2.26GHz), and the QX9300 (2.53GHz). They're really expensive compared to the duals which are much faster for 1-2 threads. So I don't know if I'd want one of these in a notebook or not, except for bragging rights.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mab View Post

a bestbuy apple genius told me that they have already started receiving supplies. He said he didnt have one on hand but it is similar to the 15" MBP, just has a bigger screen

I'm assuming you're speaking about the unibody 17-inch MBP?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mabmab Posts: 14member
    yes - the 17inch mbp

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

I'm assuming you're speaking about the unibody 17-inch MBP?

• Reply 8 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quadcore mobile as option on the 17" MBP would be like, wow.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Anyone else heard about the new unibody 17-inch mbp? How reliable is this?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mab View Post

• Reply 10 of 10
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmbecks7 View Post

Anyone else heard about the new unibody 17-inch mbp? How reliable is this?

Not that reliable. Take these type of forum postings with a very large grain of salt. Every year before Macworld people come out of the woodwork and make these type of claims. It's not as if the unibody revamp of the 17" MacBook Pro is completely unlikely on Tuesday...but it's a very good stab in the dark.