iCal, changes to system folder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
thanks forthose guys who pointed out that iCal need helveticanue font to work, i took it out because as a designer i like minimum fonts in the system and prefer to open fonts i need out of suitcase.

but lo and behold i can't put the font back into the library fonts folder. it says the folder can't be changed - I am logged in as administrator so i'm thinking, do i have to re-install mac os X ?????

and talking of that - i bought mac os x the day it came out (lucky me, it was the last one left in the store) does a clean install mean installing off these original disks, or does it mean cleaning out the whole drive, intilizing, as geordi la forge would say, and installing from there.

i'm a user, not a rocket techician.

thanks for any help out there in the great happy mac community for this poor little muddle head.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    How did you take it out of the system folder? As a general rule, don't ever change anything that's located in /System. Well, to answer your question, you can just reinstall without cleaning off your HD. Just choose upgrade (it's not really an upgrade, but choose it anyway). This option will just put things back that are supposed to be there. It's probably the easiest and least hassle for you.

But, if you could remove it, you obviously knew how to get to do things to that folder. Did you log in as root?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    boot into OS9 (while you can!!) and put it in the folder
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    [quote]Originally posted by Aussie John:

<strong>boot into OS9 (while you can!!) and put it in the folder</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you can boot into 9 now, on your hardware, you will always be able to. Stop spreading FUD. Sheesh.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

If you can boot into 9 now, on your hardware, you will always be able to. Stop spreading FUD. Sheesh.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I hope so but not necessariy true. The next X.3 could require a firmware update and a firmware update could prevent 9 from booting.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    True, and 10.3 could also require us all to shove ducks up our rectums.

The rumor about firmware designed to break existing hardware is just asinine, started by people haven't the foggiest clue what the situation is, or how 9 and Classic interact.

There is NO REASON for Apple to do that. NONE. Go read my post in FH in the thread concerning it.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Kickaha:

<strong>

If you can boot into 9 now, on your hardware, you will always be able to. Stop spreading FUD. Sheesh.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course you will always be able to boot into OS9 on current hardware. I was referring to next years crop of machines. Sheeesh