Urgent Purchasing Advice Needed

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I need your (honest) advice. I am a HUGE fan of Apple, and I am still running WINDOWS !!! I am about to SWITCH from Windows to Mac and I want to purchase a new alumnimum 13-inch MacBook. Now, I have a couple of questions:

1. Will I need any special hardware for wireless connection? Currently, I run my Dell laptop on D-Link wireless router. Will it work on MacBook?

2. I don't intend to buy Microsoft Office for Mac. Instead, I will use Open Office for Mac, which is open source. Have you tested it on your machine? Does Open Office for Mac work fine? Is it buggy?

3. For photo software, I will opt for Open Source GIMP for Mac... I can download it and install it after I purchase my MacBook. Have you used GIMP for Mac? Is it buggy?

4. I am planning to purchase MacBook with extra 2GB of RAM (it will cost around $150 more). Yes, I am Canadian, so the price will come around $1500 + GST/Sales taxes.... It's not a pocket change, so I need you to help me and encourage me to buy this. Please respond to these questions.

- Any final thoughts, recommendations, comments, feedback.... please feel free to add them to your response

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MikeyP View Post

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I need your (honest) advice. I am a HUGE fan of Apple, and I am still running WINDOWS !!! I am about to SWITCH from Windows to Mac and I want to purchase a new alumnimum 13-inch MacBook.

Congrats!

Quote:

Now, I have a couple of questions:

1. Will I need any special hardware for wireless connection? Currently, I run my Dell laptop on D-Link wireless router. Will it work on MacBook?

No, your current router will work with the Mac.

Quote:

2. I don't intend to buy Microsoft Office for Mac. Instead, I will use Open Office for Mac, which is open source. Have you tested it on your machine? Does Open Office for Mac work fine? Is it buggy?

Open office works great on the Mac. Be sure to try NeoOffice 3. It's based off of OpenOffice.org too and some people prefer the interface. In my limited experience with it, it's been good, no major bugs, printing seemed to work fine, MS Office compatibility was pretty good, interface was nice, etc. The experience rivals that of MSO and a good choice especially if you don't need perfect compatibility with MS Office.

Quote:

3. For photo software, I will opt for Open Source GIMP for Mac... I can download it and install it after I purchase my MacBook. Have you used GIMP for Mac? Is it buggy?

GIMP? Uhg. Well if you just what something to touch up you photos, use iPhoto (comes with the MacBook), unless you need to do some serious retouching. If you want a Photoshop alternative then I guess you can go with GIMP (I wouldn't, personally) or you can try a less expensive alternative to Photoshop called Pixelmator. It's $69 but worth it.

Quote:

4. I am planning to purchase MacBook with extra 2GB of RAM (it will cost around $150 more). Yes, I am Canadian, so the price will come around $1500 + GST/Sales taxes.... It's not a pocket change, so I need you to help me and encourage me to buy this. Please respond to these questions.

You might save money by not buying from Apple and getting the RAM from a 3rd party. it's not any special memory, just DDR3 SO-DIMMs so make sure you match it up with Apple's specifications on their site. I've bought 14 of these machines at my work and installed extra RAM in most of them. It's trivial.

Quote:

- Any final thoughts, recommendations, comments, feedback.... please feel free to add them to your response

Don't be obsessed with using OSS. Sometimes it's not the best tool for the job.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Outsider, Does Mac have FTP transfer tool? I have small shopping web site (nothing big!) and it requires update like once per week. Does Mac come with any tool that can transfer files to web host?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

You might save money by not buying from Apple and getting the RAM from a 3rd party. it's not any special memory, just DDR3 SO-DIMMs so make sure you match it up with Apple's specifications on their site. I've bought 14 of these machines at my work and installed extra RAM in most of them. It's trivial.

Outsider, there is a latch under the alumunim MacBook. Does that mean I could change RAM myself? Standard configuration comes with 2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB . So there are two slots, 2x1GB RAM. If I decide to manually add more memory, that means I should buy 2x2GB, right? Uh! Apple is smart. That's why they placed 2x1GB in each slot, instead of 2GBx1

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

GIMP? Uhg. Well if you just what something to touch up you photos, use iPhoto (comes with the MacBook), unless you need to do some serious retouching. If you want a Photoshop alternative then I guess you can go with GIMP (I wouldn't, personally) or you can try a less expensive alternative to Photoshop called Pixelmator. It's $69 but worth it.

Yes, I only need something to "resize" photos, that's about it. So, I don't even need GIMP for Mac to do that?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Its not very expensive and works very well. I have used both GIMP and Pixelmator (as well as Adobe products) and I prefer Pixelmator. If you can spare the money, it will serve you well. GIMP must be run in X11 and becomes one of the least Mac experiences in history, mostly because of its Linux/OSS history.

Best of Luck,

Max

RealBlab

Quote:

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and I need your (honest) advice. I am a HUGE fan of Apple, and I am still running WINDOWS !!! I am about to SWITCH from Windows to Mac and I want to purchase a new alumnimum 13-inch MacBook. Now, I have a couple of questions:

• Reply 4 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:

Does Mac have FTP transfer tool? I have small shopping web site (nothing big!) and it requires update like once per week. Does Mac come with any tool that can transfer files to web host?

You get free ones. Rbrowser lite is one. I like Transmit for FTP.

Quote:

If I decide to manually add more memory, that means I should buy 2x2GB, right? Uh! Apple is smart. That's why they placed 2x1GB in each slot, instead of 2GBx1

It's because the Mac supports dual channel memory, which gives integrated graphics better throughput. So ideally you'd upgrade to 2x2GB.

Quote:

Yes, I only need something to "resize" photos, that's about it. So, I don't even need GIMP for Mac to do that?

GIMP for Mac runs under X11, which has quirks like not using built-in fonts etc. I would recommend Photoshop Elements for this. Even a slightly older version from Amazon would do - just make sure it's one of the Intel versions though.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

...so I need you to ... encourage me to buy this...

Love that line.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

....Yes, I only need something to "resize" photos, that's about it. So, I don't even need GIMP for Mac to do that?

Dude, the best part, you don't need to get *anything* to resize photos. Your new Mac comes built-in with iPhoto, part of iLife 08. iPhoto resizes photos. And then some other things too. Don't worry about GIMP for now.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Yup, all you need is iPhoto then. You can even do neat things like red eye removal and some basic color corrections with it. It's great.

As far as FTP, go with something free like Cyberduck. It's a fantastic FTP client, costs nothing, and is easy to use.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Welcome to AI and welcome to Mac!

iPhoto will do you fine. Try it first (it comes with your Mac) and only then if you find it doesn't cut it, go for one of the others (Pixelmator or Elements).

Your router will wok. Apple does have an awesome tiny one in the AirPort Express if you need one for traveling.

Most importantly, enjoy your new Mac. It is an experience.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Guys, I am ordering my new aluminum MacBook next week 100%. I'll wait few more days because they will announce new iLife '09 during MacWorld keynote event, and iLife comes included with all new Macs! You're absolutely correct - I don't even need GIMP to resize photos, I can do it with iPhoto, this is perfect!

Guys, last question:

I watched a tutorial about setting up wireless connection with Macintosh. Apple says I will Apple airport base station such as AirPort Express in order to set up wireless connection on my MacBook (see video: Setting Up Wireless Connection needhttp://www.apple.com/ca/mac/ ).

Bergmermeister, why do I need AirPort Express for traveling? Can't mac "catch" wireless signal via Wi-Fi?

THANK YOU ALL, I AM VERY EXCITED AND I AM GLAD I AM SWITCHING TO MAC !!!!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    The Express is handy for those times when you don't have a wi-fi option (cheaper business hotels which only provide a cable LAN, for example). Just plug it in to the LAN and you have a wireless system ready to go without passwords or any set up.

I use the Express at home for two laptops, two iPhones and a Touch. When I travel, unplug it, plop it in my bag and I have my system wherever I am. I like it because I can keep a closed network (nobody knows it's operating).

The Express is also smaller than the power brick that comes with your MacBook, so it is very portable.

You can use it at home to stream music from your computer to speakers in another room, too.

Not a must have, but I find it very convenient for the price and it works like a charm.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Congrats on moving away from Microsoft, to Mac and Open Office. You can always try Gimp later, it's a great application, with a very different interface paradigm of independent floating palettes. It's not trying to be photoshop, which is why it drives photoshop people crazy.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Open Office for Mac is alright. You can use it for all your "compatibility" needs.

Then, when you actually need to be productive and produce clear, engaging "business communications", you can use iWork '08.

Try not to get Office for Mac at all, if possible.