iPhone not alerting me of new emails

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Hi again everyone... another iPhone 3G problem! I've set the phone to fetch new emails every 15 minutes. However, it's not actually fetching any. I've just checked my email in Thunderbird, and there are new emails that the iPhone should have picked up, but hasn't. The strange thing is, as soon as I wake up and unlock the phone, it does fetch emails, but it doesn't when it's 'asleep'! Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to get it to fetch my emails every 15 minutes as set?

Many thanks,

Michael.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

... it does fetch emails, but it doesn't when it's 'asleep'! ...

Why do you expect your iPhone to maintain contact with your email server while it is asleep? AFAIK, MobileMe maintains contact with your iPhone, but other ISPs do not. Other ISPs send mail to your iPhone only while your iPhone is awake.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Why do you expect your iPhone to maintain contact with your email server while it is asleep? AFAIK, MobileMe maintains contact with your iPhone, but other ISPs do not. Other ISPs send mail to your iPhone only while your iPhone is awake.

No, I don't expect it to maintain constant contact with the email server, but I do expect it to check for new emails every 15 minutes, and alert me to any new ones. But I can't figure out how to get it to do this, even though I have it setup to fetch every 15 minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    I also have an email problem. For some reason whenever I go to mail it says username/password incorrect. I have to go back to settings and type in the password again after which it is fine.

Anyone else get this?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

No, I don't expect it to maintain constant contact with the email server, but I do expect it to check for new emails every 15 minutes, and alert me to any new ones. But I can't figure out how to get it to do this, even though I have it setup to fetch every 15 minutes.

This is exactly how it is supposed to work but unfortunately this has been a problem for many users for a while.

Prior to 2.1 Apple admitted this to be a known issue. It should be resolved in 2.2. However, if you have Settings>Fetch New Data set to "Push", the problem reappears. This is because the Fetch New Data is a global setting. Apple suggests that this is by design and setting it to Push disables Fetching while in sleep due to battery concerns.

The only way to configure the iPhone to fetch while sleeping is to change Settings>Fetch New Data>Fetch. Even then you will not see a "New Email" notification on the home screen. You'll get the ding or a vibrate when the new email comes in but will have to look at the Mail icon to see if has an alert for new mail.

Some people also report issues when switching from wireless to 3g that fetching stops working
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

This is exactly how it is supposed to work but unfortunately this has been a problem for many users for a while.

Prior to 2.1 Apple admitted this to be a known issue. It should be resolved in 2.2. However, if you have Settings>Fetch New Data set to "Push", the problem reappears. This is because the Fetch New Data is a global setting. Apple suggests that this is by design and setting it to Push disables Fetching while in sleep due to battery concerns.

The only way to configure the iPhone to fetch while sleeping is to change Settings>Fetch New Data>Fetch. Even then you will not see a "New Email" notification on the home screen. You'll get the ding or a vibrate when the new email comes in but will have to look at the Mail icon to see if has an alert for new mail.

Some people also report issues when switching from wireless to 3g that fetching stops working

This is a real bummer. I'm quickly finding that this iPhone is actually quite a buggy device. I'm beginning to regret having spent £350 on it since I can tell it's going to be quite frustrating in comparison to the E71
  • Reply 6 of 20
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

This is a real bummer. I'm quickly finding that this iPhone is actually quite a buggy device. I'm beginning to regret having spent £350 on it since I can tell it's going to be quite frustrating in comparison to the E71

Technically, since Apple designed it this way it's not a bug, they want you to use MobileMe
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

Technically, since Apple designed it this way it's not a bug, they want you to use MobileMe

Sadly that doesn't pass as an excuse for what is currently essentially a broken email system. Isn't this phone supposed to be all about Internet and email in the pocket? Come on Apple, you could at least get this staple functionality right after I lined you pockets with 350 notes!

Sorry if I'm harping on about this so much, but I'm one of those people who has come over from Nokias S60 to give the iPhone a fair chance, and so far it's given me broken email and sluggish performance. I admire you guys who tirelessly promote this phone above all others even in light of it's glaring problems. I might not have as much stamina as this and may have to return to a working S60 device. But then at least I can say I've tried it rather than basing my experience only one things I've read!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Sadly that doesn't pass as an excuse for what is currently essentially a broken email system. Isn't this phone supposed to be all about Internet and email in the pocket? Come on Apple, you could at least get this staple functionality right after I lined you pockets with 350 notes!

Sorry if I'm harping on about this so much, but I'm one of those people who has come over from Nokias S60 to give the iPhone a fair chance, and so far it's given me broken email and sluggish performance. I admire you guys who tirelessly promote this phone above all others even in light of it's glaring problems. I might not have as much stamina as this and may have to return to a working S60 device. But then at least I can say I've tried it rather than basing my experience only one things I've read!

Perhaps you should get a Samsung i8510, that seems to be the best S60 device available at the moment, the processor is a lot faster than any of the Nokia offerings, so you should get a less "sluggish" experience.

Personally I found my N82 to be slower than my iPhone for a lot of functions, including start up and going to contacts.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Perhaps you should get a Samsung i8510, that seems to be the best S60 device available at the moment, the processor is a lot faster than any of the Nokia offerings, so you should get a less "sluggish" experience.

Personally I found my N82 to be slower than my iPhone for a lot of functions, including start up and going to contacts.

Actually in comparison the S60 Nokia's whizz along! Typing in the browser is much quicker on an S60 device than on the iPhone, as is getting in and out of contacts. This surprised me really given the hype and build up around the iPhone, and how much it seems to be praised in these parts. I'm happy to make compromises on the camera, bluetooth, sim lock/carrier lock, but I really shouldn't be asked to compromise on basic operational performance, email and browsing! Aren't these the very things the iPhone is supposed to be great at?!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Actually in comparison the S60 Nokia's whizz along! Typing in the browser is much quicker on an S60 device than on the iPhone, as is getting in and out of contacts. This surprised me really given the hype and build up around the iPhone, and how much it seems to be praised in these parts. I'm happy to make compromises on the camera, bluetooth, sim lock/carrier lock, but I really shouldn't be asked to compromise on basic operational performance, email and browsing! Aren't these the very things the iPhone is supposed to be great at?!

Actually these are areas my iPhone is faster than my N82, obviously it seems to be a subjective issue.

Maybe your network is to slow

For example this forum is slow to respond no matter which device I use or whether I'm on wifi or not.

I've found when posting on forums the speed can be affected by the site, with those specifically optimized for the iPhone to be the fastest.

When using Opera, I found that having everything get processed through Opera's servers slowed things down, although the ads that used to appear in Norwegian were slightly amusing.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Actually these are areas my iPhone is faster than my N82, obviously it seems to be a subjective issue.

Maybe your network is to slow

For example this forum is slow to respond no matter which device I use or whether I'm on wifi or not.

I've found when posting on forums the speed can be affected by the site, with those specifically optimized for the iPhone to be the fastest.

When using Opera, I found that having everything get processed through Opera's servers slowed things down, although the ads that used to appear in Norwegian were slightly amusing.

Thanks, it's not the loading of websites that's slow (that's definitely better than the S60 Nokias!) but the keyboard in Safari when replying to forum posts is incredibly sluggish and slow, even with 2.2 installed. I've actually had to slow down my typing speed as it is unable to keep up! This does, of course, leave a slightly sour taste in my mouth after dropping a lot of money for this device. Why is the keyboard in Safari even broken like this to begin with?!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks, ... but the keyboard in Safari when replying to forum posts is incredibly sluggish and slow, ...

There are a lot of intermediaries between your keyboard and the edit dialog displays of fan forums like this one. It makes no sense to place the "blame" for perceived "slowness" on the iPhone to the exclusion of other factors.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

There are a lot of intermediaries between your keyboard and the edit dialog displays of fan forums like this one. It makes no sense to place the "blame" for perceived "slowness" on the iPhone to the exclusion of other factors.

What other factors could it be then?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

What other factors could it be then?

One I pointed out before is animated gif icons used for smilies as well as animated ads. The iphone displays these and loops them while typing. Other phones may not display them or may only loop the animations once.

Sites with textareas and no ads allow you to type more quickly without lag. These animations may also be running down the battery because they tax the CPU quite a lot. Safari really should have an option to force gif images to loop once or not at all.

The iphone also anti-aliases all the text. Not all phones will do this.

After updating to 2.2, I notice that the performance of Safari has improved a bit and I find it to be quite good. I'd say that if I types a bunch of random letters quickly I can see some lag but normal typing, it's acceptable.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

One I pointed out before is animated gif icons used for smilies as well as animated ads. The iphone displays these and loops them while typing. Other phones may not display them or may only loop the animations once.

Sites with textareas and no ads allow you to type more quickly without lag. These animations may also be running down the battery because they tax the CPU quite a lot. Safari really should have an option to force gif images to loop once or not at all.

The iphone also anti-aliases all the text. Not all phones will do this.

After updating to 2.2, I notice that the performance of Safari has improved a bit and I find it to be quite good. I'd say that if I types a bunch of random letters quickly I can see some lag but normal typing, it's acceptable.

Well I hope Apple fix it quickly!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Well I hope Apple fix it quickly!

None of the things that Marvin listed can be described as broken. There are probably quite a few iPhone owners who want this behavior. There is certainly no guarantee that removing it would satisfy you.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

None of the things that Marvin listed can be described as broken. There are probably quite a few iPhone owners who want this behavior. There is certainly no guarantee that removing it would satisfy you.

Whatever it takes to fix the keyboard lag I'll be happy with.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Whatever it takes to fix the keyboard lag I'll be happy with.

Here's how I do it, once the text box where I want to insert data appears I hit the 'x' in the address bar so the page stops loading.

Then the keyboard doesn't lag.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Here's how I do it, once the text box where I want to insert data appears I hit the 'x' in the address bar so the page stops loading.

Then the keyboard doesn't lag.

Ooooh goody I'll try that!
  • Reply 20 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    A couple of useful things to try are the feedback settings.

Every time you type a word, at least 3 things happen. It checks if the word is at the beginning of a sentence so that it adds a capital letter, it generates a click noise for each character and it checks that the word you typed is spelled correctly.

These have to come in order:

Is it a capital - check

type letter - click

type letter - click

spell check word - check

If the iphone can't check the word fast enough or play the click sound fast enough, it will lag.

You can turn all these options off in the settings. The keyboard clicks may require an iphone restart. You can probably leave the capitalization on as it's fairly minimal processing. Same with the 'dot' shortcut. The clicks and the spell-check will be the slowest parts.

I tried with them off and things did seem a bit more responsive but as soon as you use the magnifier, you can see there is something else slowing it down.

I don't think it's a serious issue but it's something Apple should improve on especially if there is going to be any hope of doing document editing on the move with a web-based iwork.