Record XBOX 360 Gameplay on MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Greetings everyone... new here and trying to see if anyone can help me.

I know I am bringing up a topic that has been discussed, probably a few times over, however I think if I can get past a small technical issue I may have a solution that works for me. Please bare with me and offer any advice that you can.

THE PROBLEM

I am not too interested in recording HD gameplay from my XBOX360 as from what I have gathered the only way I can accomplish this is by investing over $1000.00 and lets just say I am not that determined. However I do not want to give up my HD gameplay on my television.

A POSSIBLE SOLUTION?

Now I have no idea if this is possible and this is basically why I have come here in search of help; is there some kind of distribution device that will allow me to run the HDMI connection from my XBOX360 as the source in and then run an HDMI out to my television (letting me play in HD) while running say an S-Video or composite out to Elgato's EyeTV 250 Plus allowing me to record on my MacBook Pro? Perhaps HDMI is too much to ask for but should I not be able to at least use the composites (red, green, blue and the audios)?

I guess my half-witted theory works in my head but I lack the technical knowledge of it's possibility. I would almost bet that someone/somewhere has figured out a solution but most that I have come across force me to play in analog while recording in the same. And help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    A quick follow up as I think I may have found my solution. I found a device made by Hava that would have worked however it does not have any Mac support. This lead me the the Slingbox HD Pro which does offer Mac support. The Slinbox then runs to my router via ethernet cable which my MacBook receives via the network and is able to record. Has anyone heard or tried this before? At $250 it seems to be the cheapest solution I have found thus far I am just not 100% sure that the Slingbox offers video passthru like the Hava does. With the Hava I know I can play in HD but record in SD but I can not find out if the Slingbox works the same way. I do not want it to downgrade the HD signal to 480i.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well I figured this out. Not sure if I can post outside links on this forum however I have posted the solution on my personal blog and also placed a video demonstration as well. For anyway still thinking you have to spend thousands of dollars to make this work... you are wrong. You can spend less than $300 and have a whole lot more.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    what's the link? I post em all the time here.