Trusted Overstock / Refurb Mac dealers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi guys,

I've been gone from the forums for a long time (have transitioned to linux mostly), so I'm out of the apple ecosystem loop. I need help getting back up to speed to be a good counselor to my sister and her husband who want a new computer.

I've been advocating a mac for them for years, and it looks like they are going for it. They are very price conscious, but need a machine that will burn dvds (sorry $600 mac mini) and has a good warranty. I suggested waiting until after this macworld to pick up an iMac of the gen that is now current, but will be obsoleted by the new ones released this week. In other words, buy today's product tomorrow for $150 less or whatever.

Problem is, I don't know where the trusted places to get these obsoleted products are anymore, so I thought it might be a good time for a thread to talk about people's top 3-4 non apple places to get a Mac.

I'll start.... four years ago I would have told my sister to look at OWC and smalldog and the like. Today seems like you could just walk into Best Buy, as funny as that seems to me. Where do people shop for mac bargains these days? Any help you can give, is much appreciated, and remember, we're talking about systems that aren't going to be DOA, either new or refurg, preferably with a warranty of some kind - whether 3rd party or not. Thank you for any recommendations or warnings!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I find Apple's own refurb store to be pretty good but the good deals go pretty quick and usually they only have the last generation in stock. You do get the option to buy Applecare though so you can get a full 3 year warranty.

They had refurb ipod touches in the store before Christmas at just above the price of the Nano. They sold out pretty quick though and they once had the MBPs with the 8600M GT card priced at what the current MBs are.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I've purchased 3 refurbed Macs from Apple.com directly; an iMac G5, a Core-Duo iMac, and a 4-core Mac Pro. All 3 were in perfect physical shape. The Core-Duo iMac was partitioned and had Tiger and Linux both on two partitions. The other two were just like regular old brand-new Macs. So, as long as you feel confident in doing a wipe and restore for them I say go to Apple.com's refurb store after the keynote.