Apple introduces iLife '09

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
At the Macworld Expo on Tuesday, Apple introduced iLife '09, which features major upgrades to iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand, and includes iDVD and an updated version of iWeb.



"iLife continues to be one of the biggest reasons our customers choose to get a Mac," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "With iLife '09, we've made working with photos, making movies and learning to play music a lot more fun, and iMovie users are especially going to love the advanced but easy-to-use new features."



iPhoto



iPhoto '09 makes it easier to browse and search photos, not only by when they were shot (Events), but by who appears in them (Faces) and where they were taken (Places). iPhoto automatically scans photos to detect people's faces and when you assign a name to any face iPhoto will automatically find more pictures of that person. The library can be searched by name or browsed using the new Faces View.



Places automatically imports photo location data from a GPS-enabled camera or any iPhone or you can manually assign a location to any photo, group of photos or event. Once iPhoto knows where photos were taken, you can easily explore them with a simple search or an interactive map. iPhoto '09 lets you easily publish photos to Facebook or Flickr. Photos published to Facebook include assigned names, and name tags added on Facebook sync back to iPhoto. You can also share photos by creating a themed slideshow to play on your Mac, iPhone or iPod, or create a beautiful travel book, complete with customized maps of your journey.







iMovie



iMovie '09 adds powerful, yet easy-to-use new features to let you create a movie quickly, or add refinements and special effects to your project if you have more time. Drag and drop one clip on top of another to reveal new advanced editing options, including replace, insert, audio only, and even picture-in-picture or green screen. With the new Precision Editor, you can skim and click on a magnified filmstrip to view clips up close and fine tune any edit, like identifying precisely how much to keep, where to cut, use sound from one clip with video from another and more. iMovie '09 also analyzes video and reduces camera shake in clips when added to your project. New titles, transitions, cinematic effects, speed changes and animated travel maps add professional polish to your movie.



GarageBand



GarageBand '09, the updated version of Apple's popular software for playing and recording music, now gives budding musicians a fun new way to learn to play piano and guitar. Basic Lessons let you learn the fundamentals at your own pace with Apple instructors in beautiful HD video synchronized to animated instruments and notation.







Artist Lessons feature original artists showing how to play their hit songs with everything from finger positions and techniques to the story behind the song. Choose from lessons by popular artists including: Sara Bareilles, Colbie Caillat, John Fogerty, Ben Folds, Norah Jones, Sarah McLachlan, Fall Out Boy's Patrick Stump, OneRepublic's Ryan Tedder and Sting. Artist Lessons are sold separately at the new GarageBand Lesson Store, available inside the GarageBand '09 application. GarageBand '09 also includes new guitar amp and stomp- box effects, and Magic GarageBand Jam that lets you play along with a virtual band that you create.







iWeb & iDVD



iLife '09 also includes iWeb '09 for authoring custom websites and iDVD '09 for creating DVDs. iWeb '09 adds new iWeb Widgets, such as iSight video and photos, a countdown timer, YouTube video and RSS feeds. New integrated FTP publishing allows you to publish your website to virtually any hosting service and updates to your site can now be automatically added to your Facebook profile.



Pricing & Availability



iLife '09 will be available this month for a suggested retail price of $79 (US) through the Apple Store, Apple's retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. The iLife Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchased a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after January 6, 2009 for a shipping and handling fee of $9.95). Artist Lessons are available through the GarageBand Lesson Store for $4.99 each.



iLife '09 requires Mac OS X version 10.5.6 or later, a Macintosh computer with an Intel processor, a PowerPC G5 or 867 MHz or faster PowerPC G4, 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended), QuickTime 7.5.5 or later (included), a DVD drive for installation and 4GB of available disk space. iPhoto print services and GarageBand Artist Lessons are available in select countries.
«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 92
    iPhoto 9 will search your photo library for known faces and tag them? If that's true, that would be really helpful.

    Does iMovie 9 support chapters now? How about slow motion?
  • Reply 2 of 92
    Great new features. It's the software that makes every Mac so much more fun than a PC. To bad though that i just got a new MacBook Pro for XMAS and will have to pay 79$ for new iLife and another 79$ for the new iWork.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    So where is iweb?...
  • Reply 4 of 92
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Or iDVD??
  • Reply 5 of 92
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Hmmmmm.... something fishy....
  • Reply 6 of 92
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Both the iWeb and iDVD icons were in Phil's dock... I am assuming small updates to both apps.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oberpongo View Post


    Great new features. It's the software that makes every Mac so much more fun than a PC. To bad though that i just got a new MacBook Pro for XMAS and will have to pay 79$ for new iLife and another 79$ for the new iWork.



    well this is nice:



    Mac Box Set, Leopard, iLife, and iWork for $169.



    Hope that this will also be available with snow leopard.



    To bad that iWork is available now, but ilife at the end of January and Snow Leopard sometime in Q2.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    Both the iWeb and iDVD icons were in Phil's dock... I am assuming small updates to both apps.



    He also said "these are the three apps in ilife"...

    referring to iPhoto, iMovie and GB...
  • Reply 9 of 92
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    No entirely new app? Apple used to be able to release a whole new iApp every year, but now all they can manage is updates.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post


    No entirely new app? Apple used to be able to release a whole new iApp every year, but now all they can manage is updates.



    I too was expecting a new iLife app. iPhoto and iMovie do look pretty sweet though... I have very little use for GB.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post


    I too was expecting a new iLife app. iPhoto and iMovie do look pretty sweet though... I have very little use for GB.



    I hope iMovie can export back to Tape
  • Reply 12 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muncie View Post


    iPhoto 9 will search your photo library for known faces and tag them? If that's true, that would be really helpful.

    Does iMovie 9 support chapters now? How about slow motion?



    I just read at MacNN that clips can be slowed down. I don't know yet about rewinding and fastfowarding. Chapters can be done in GarageBand or in iDVD directly...(they may have changed it to where you can customize chapters in iDVD instead of doing it in iMovie which would quite honestly make sense but there's no sense in discussing it until I can get a copy)
  • Reply 13 of 92
    When exactly did Steve say this? Is this a press release? Looks like someone forgot to change it to Phil Schiller.



    Quote:

    "iLife continues to be one of the biggest reasons our customers choose to get a Mac," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "With iLife '09, we've made working with photos, making movies and learning to play music a lot more fun, and iMovie users are especially going to love the advanced but easy-to-use new features."



  • Reply 14 of 92
    Apple has lost it?



    Just a MacBook Pro?



    WOW!



    The aging fleet of Mac Hardware - Mac mini, the iMacs, the Mac Pro...



    Apple is giving sales to PCs...



    Over 1 hour to talk about iLife + iWorks + Garage + iPhoto/iMovies



    I hope the outdated Mac hardware can run these software titles (Sad Apple)
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    At the Macworld Expo on Tuesday, Apple introduced iLife '09, which features major upgrades to iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand, and includes iDVD and an updated version of iWeb.



    "iLife continues to be one of the biggest reasons our customers choose to get a Mac," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs."



    Don't you mean Phil?
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post


    Apple has lost it?



    Just a MacBook Pro?



    WOW!



    The aging fleet of Mac Hardware - Mac mini, the iMacs, the Mac Pro...



    Apple is giving sales to PCs...



    Over 1 hour to talk about iLife + iWorks + Garage + iPhoto/iMovies



    I hope the outdated Mac hardware can run these software titles (Sad Apple)





    "just a MacBook Pro" -- ahem! yeah, this is the very reason why Apple has decided to not be held to anymore annual dates (e.g. Macworld) for releases. now they can free themselves and release things on their own time.



    "aging fleet" -- LOL!!





    ...all the fanboys are turning EMO at this moment. LOL!!!
  • Reply 17 of 92
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    All these improvements are nice and all but where am I going to put the bits on my MBP. At 200GB I'm almost full now. I'm really hoping that SL does in fact free up a lot of disk space because things are a bit crowded.



    Speaking of space; there use to be a company that had a sub chassis that allowed one to replace your CD drive in a MBP (spring 2008) with a hard disk drive. Anybody know if it is still on the market? I'm really thinking that would be a good place for a SSD.



    Dave
  • Reply 18 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post


    Hmmmmm.... something fishy....



    Too lazy to look youself?



    http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/
  • Reply 19 of 92
    No new mini



    New iLife suite looks cool but otherwise .... meh
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freeny View Post


    He also said "these are the three apps in ilife"...

    referring to iPhoto, iMovie and GB...



    No he didn't.
Sign In or Register to comment.