loading mp4s onto iphone from itunes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
running iphone 2.2

itunes 8.02.20

on xp pro

i converted a couple of avi's to mp4 and dragged them into itunes/library/movies.

i can watch them fine in itunes.

next i click on the sync interface and go to the video tab.

none of the files appear as either "rented movies" or "tv shows," so i am consequently unable to sync them.

sure would be nice to just drag and drop them but i guess that's a silly windows function.

any ideas?

i'm going to be on a couple very long flights and purchased this device to pass a few of those hours.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Select your iPhone from within iTunes... then click the "Video" tab. There should be lists for "Rented Movies", "TV Shows", and "Movies" for all the video content in iTunes with checkboxes next to them.

Could it be as simple as just scrolling down till you see the "Movies" category?? ... God knows, I've never made such a silly error.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Select your iPhone from within iTunes... then click the "Video" tab. There should be lists for "Rented Movies", "TV Shows", and "Movies" for all the video content in iTunes with checkboxes next to them.

Could it be as simple as just scrolling down till you see the "Movies" category?? ... God knows, I've never made such a silly error.

I have the same problem. I went to the movies checked the box and it still will not work.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Did you make them H264 MP4s? I haven't tried putting MP4s on my iphone yet besides itunes purchases but someone said to make them H264 to get them to work properly. If that's the case it means much longer encode times. I don't see why it wouldn't play standard MP4s to be honest.

One time I saw MP4s that wouldn't work on an ipod and what I had to do was open them in Quicktime and hit export > movie to mpeg4 and then choose passthrough for both codecs. It changed the header or something so it would sync properly.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    If you right click on the movies in iTunes there should be a menu option to convert them to iPhone or ATV.

For those of us using a Mac you can use Handbrake to convert any movie to many different formats
  • Reply 5 of 9
    If you try to sync a file that can't be played on the iPhone (and it is real finicky about how stuff is encoded... just saying "h.264/mp4" is not good enough) iTunes will pop-up a notification that the file was not sync'd because it can't be played on the device.

If you're not getting that message, then you've got a problem I haven't seen.

As for compatibility, if you stick with the Quicktime or Handbrake presets for iPhone, you'll save yourself a lot of hassles
  • Reply 6 of 9
    the mp4's do not appear in the list in sync's video tab i have two mp4's that i have added to itunes and can watch then in itunes just fine

my list (in the sync section) has none. trust me -- they ain't there.

i found the right click menu on a different view and found a convert option but i am told the video is already in the correct format.

i do notice that when i try to drag a show into my "tv shows" column, they go instead to my movies folder.

but movies dont show up either

\t
    Quote:

If you try to sync a file that can't be played on the iPhone (and it is real finicky about how stuff is encoded... just saying "h.264/mp4" is not good enough) iTunes will pop-up a notification that the file was not sync'd because it can't be played on the device.

If you're not getting that message, then you've got a problem I haven't seen.

kind of at a loss.

regarding this, i am not getting any error messages.

the video within itunes do not appear in the sync queue.

i suppose i could load hours of worthless youtube vids for my flight to london -- i would prefer something a tad more worthy.

curious, does thos forum not allow uploading of images?

i have screenies.

ps - i also notice i have one video i had downloaded some time ago. again, i can watch it in itunes but it does not appear anyway in any sync list.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Don't know what else to tell you.

I've done the same thing... I've converted .avi's to the "iPhone" preset in both QuicktimePro and Handbrake (Handbrake is faster) ... The resulting .m4v file can be dragged into iTunes and syncs just fine to my iPhone.

My only recommendation would be to try Handbrake to convert an .avi (use the preset... not a generic .mp4) ... drag that .m4v file to iTunes and see if it will sync properly.

If that works, I'd say your current problems are a formatting issue. If it doesn't, then something's corrupted on your end.

(Just because a file will play within iTunes, doesn't necessarily mean it will play on an iPhone or iPod.)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Don't know what else to tell you.

I've done the same thing... I've converted .avi's to the "iPhone" preset in both QuicktimePro and Handbrake (Handbrake is faster) ... The resulting .m4v file can be dragged into iTunes and syncs just fine to my iPhone.

My only recommendation would be to try Handbrake to convert an .avi (use the preset... not a generic .mp4) ... drag that .m4v file to iTunes and see if it will sync properly.

If that works, I'd say your current problems are a formatting issue. If it doesn't, then something's corrupted on your end.

(Just because a file will play within iTunes, doesn't necessarily mean it will play on an iPhone or iPod.)

i used monavi and perhaps that is the issue.

obviously i have quicktime installed -- do i need pro to convert files?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

dude - seriously, i have wasted two days trying to figure this out.

i work with computers )figure that rught) so i am always willing to look for operator error.

I DIDN'T SCROLL DOWN.

F ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm a GRADE A moron.

thanks for all the replies.