iPhone application sync problem

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I have one application that I purchased for my iPhone using my iPhone (Mocha VNC), and another free application downloaded the first time using my iPhone (The Weather Channel), and for some reason those two apps won't sync back to my iPhone. Other purchased and free apps sync back just fine.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Any ideas how to fix this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I have one application that I purchased for my iPhone using my iPhone (Mocha VNC), and another free application downloaded the first time using my iPhone (The Weather Channel), and for some reason those two apps won't sync back to my iPhone. Other purchased and free apps sync back just fine.

Anyone else seeing this problem? Any ideas how to fix this?

No. Haven't had that problem but I think I've only bought one app directly from my phone. Snow Reports, I think.

Do they show up in your iTunes library?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    It's not a real solution to the sync glitch, but iTunes apparently lets you re-download purchased apps that you're already paid for without any extra charge. I discovered this after iTunes notified me that I'd already "purchased" the free app that wasn't syncing when I tried to download from the store, so I figured I'd try the same thing with the non-free app too.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Do they show up in your iTunes library?

No, that's what I meant when I said they wouldn't sync. They stayed on the iPhone where they first landed when purchased (or downloaded for free), but wouldn't automatically copy back to the iTunes library.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

No, that's what I meant when I said they wouldn't sync. They stayed on the iPhone where they first landed when purchased (or downloaded for free), but wouldn't automatically copy back to the iTunes library.

Gotcha.

Haven't had that problem. I'm going to follow the thread to see how it gets resolved.

PS Have you tried to reset your iPhone? Maybe if the problem is with the phone it might resolve it.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I didn't read your post, me hurry - delete all your apps from the phone, turn the phone off and then re-sync.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I didn't read your post, me hurry - delete all your apps from the phone, turn the phone off and then re-sync.

That wouldn't be bad advice when all of your apps are in iTunes -- but if the problem is that the only place where an app is stored is on your iPhone, deleting it from there would mean deleting your only copy.

Even if you've taken advantage of free re-downloads, if you delete an app from your iPhone all of your saved settings for that app get deleted -- when you finally get the app back onto your phone, your old settings would be lost.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

That wouldn't be bad advice when all of your apps are in iTunes -- but if the problem is that the only place where an app is stored is on your iPhone, deleting it from there would mean deleting your only copy.

Even if you've taken advantage of free re-downloads, if you delete an app from your iPhone all of your saved settings for that app get deleted -- when you finally get the app back onto your phone, your old settings would be lost.

Did you try a hard reset (sleep and home button at same time)?

Just today my iPhone wouldn't connect to the edge network. Hard reset and problem solved. I would try that and then reconnect to your mac and see if it won't sync with iTunes.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Did you go to 'File'>'Transfer purchases from iPhone' in iTunes?

Where I run into problems is with my Windows partition running out of space, I've managed to move music etc to another partition but I can't seem to move where the apps are stored.

I have almost 2 GB of Apps and can't sync them because my partition runs out of space.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I've been having this issue for ages - I bought a new laptop and synced my iphone, only to find all my apps gone from my iphone and not in iTunes!! Thankfully I could sync back to the original machine.

The transfer option didn't work for me and then I realised I had to Authorise my new laptop on my itunes account - without that, the apps don't transfer.

Just in case anyone has spent hours messing!!

Cheers all

AJ
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Did you go to 'File'>'Transfer purchases from iPhone' in iTunes?

Where I run into problems is with my Windows partition running out of space, I've managed to move music etc to another partition but I can't seem to move where the apps are stored.

I have almost 2 GB of Apps and can't sync them because my partition runs out of space.

Thank you!!! I have been trying to solve this precise problem for ages and happened upon your advice this morning :-D

Is there any chance that you know how to avoid losing all the data in the apps that I downloaded on the iPhone, as properly syncing them now they are on my phone will apparently replace from my MacBook and not combine the app with the data content on the phone?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    You could always just redownload them for free. Just look up the app in iTunes, click "Buy" or whatever and it will tell you that you've already purchased it, do you want to download it again for free? Say yes, and there it is.