10.2 and Beige G3

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone else out there had problems installing MacOS 10.2 on a beige G3?

I get firmware problems, and it just won't boot off the CD.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    No, I've actually installed Jaguar on a beige G3 with great success.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jdbonjdbon Posts: 109member
    I had problems installing on my Beige G3. I ended up putting its drive in a firewire enclosure and installing 10.2 from my iBook.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Installed fine on my Rev A...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    <sigh>

I dunno. Though I have heard of other beige owners complaining of running into problems.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    My 300 rev. C does fine with it, but my 266 rev A will not do it, and it is driving me crazy. I even dropped the drive into my other Beige, installed OX 10.2 (upgrading from 10.1) and it STILL will not boot. Displays the Spinning Apple logo thingy, and just sits.. And sits.. I reset Pram and it will not even recognize the drive if I boot off the OS9 CD. Any ideaz?!?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    My brother has a 233 MHz beige desktop, and he's had no problems (other than ass-slow Aqua effects, which aren't really "problems"). He upgraded to Jaguar (not a clean install). It works okay, as far as I know.

Same case with my 233 MHz Wallstreet.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    If you go to Google, and search through the Google groups, you'll find lot's of people complaining about having difficulties get 10.2 to install. It doesn't seem to matter which revision you have. Some people with Rev C beige systems are even having problems.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Unlike 10.1.5, Jaguar actually sees the Beige "Personality Card"!

OEM SCSI works fine too.

I have an Asante 590 PCI 10/100 NIC, and it works in Jag too.

I have a bunch of Rev B's+ (333) and they work well. All of em have 768 MB RAM, that helps too...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by dstranathan:

<strong>Unlike 10.1.5, Jaguar actually sees the Beige "Personality Card"!...</strong><hr></blockquote>

personality card ?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    My schools got a whole lab of Beige G3's with 10.2 on them. Works prefectly fine.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    My old g3 has allways been a pain when installing an OS at one point you had to hold option to get the monitor to display a picture when booting other wise it would stay black... Dont ask me why i cant think of anything that would cause that. And the option key doesnt do anything on an old world machine... Well i played around for 6 HOURS to get jag to install on it just because i was bored. I found out the DVD-ROM drive was buggy so after swappig that with a new better one it worked BUT the hard drive became un bootable. After playing around for a while i took the other hard drive out of it found a reset button on the mother board pushed it and started it reset the pram and it worked... I hope you have better luck then I did. Aw well atleast its installed