Running a Bootcamp partition of Windows 7 in Fusion

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I recently decided to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and give Windows 7 Beta a try. I do like it... but it shutdown a couple times and.... well, it can't do that anymore without lingering in some stage for eternity. That sort of ruined it for me (reminds me of the good old 'Windows ME' days...). And yeah, I know it's a beta, but anyway - I'm trying to set it up as a Virtual Machine using the latest version of VMWare Fusion and... well, it says that the partition I had selected to make into a virtual machine had not shut down properly. It was right, but seeing as how it lacks the ability to shut down, I'm kind of in a silly situation. I can boot into Windows, using bootcamp, but it cant read my Fusion DVD without Explorer freezing up. Well, explorer can't seem to do much of anything without freezing up.

Anyone have similar problems?

I'm trying to be nice to Windows! I know it's beta software, but Explorer is barely functional and I can't shutdown or restart! But I know it has so much more potential cause I did manage to install Crysis on it and I did actually notice a performance boost from my good old Windows Server 2008 partition.

Also, my MacOSX partition now lacks the ability to mount that bootcamp NTFS partition. Can they not play nice anymore?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xephrey View Post

I recently decided to go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and give Windows 7 Beta a try. I do like it... but it shutdown a couple times and.... well, it can't do that anymore without lingering in some stage for eternity. That sort of ruined it for me (reminds me of the good old 'Windows ME' days...). And yeah, I know it's a beta, but anyway - I'm trying to set it up as a Virtual Machine using the latest version of VMWare Fusion and... well, it says that the partition I had selected to make into a virtual machine had not shut down properly. It was right, but seeing as how it lacks the ability to shut down, I'm kind of in a silly situation. I can boot into Windows, using bootcamp, but it cant read my Fusion DVD without Explorer freezing up. Well, explorer can't seem to do much of anything without freezing up.

Anyone have similar problems?

I'm trying to be nice to Windows! I know it's beta software, but Explorer is barely functional and I can't shutdown or restart! But I know it has so much more potential cause I did manage to install Crysis on it and I did actually notice a performance boost from my good old Windows Server 2008 partition.

Also, my MacOSX partition now lacks the ability to mount that bootcamp NTFS partition. Can they not play nice anymore?

The solution to your problem is very simple: uninstall, reboot, and never touch windows again. Like ever. Don't be nice to windows because Gates is certainly not being nice to you.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I don't really know what exactly you'd need to do to fix it (short of a clean install and trying again)...

I can say that I have Windows 7 installed on Boot Camp and running through VMWare though.... They do play nice. Just make sure you install the 64-bit boot camp drivers and set up VMWare to treat it like Windows Server 2008 x64.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smax View Post

I don't really know what exactly you'd need to do to fix it (short of a clean install and trying again)...

I can say that I have Windows 7 installed on Boot Camp and running through VMWare though.... They do play nice. Just make sure you install the 64-bit boot camp drivers and set up VMWare to treat it like Windows Server 2008 x64.

Make sure you don't.