ATI Radeon 9800 XT Flashed For Mac Card - Help Request

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Equipment:

Powercolor ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB (PC Retail Version)

Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8Mhz (June 2004 model)

Formac 2010 Monitor (ADC) with Apple DVI to ADC Adapter

I flashed the card with an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB ROM. I used the PRO ROM MAC EDITION (ROM 113-A07552-134) and not the XT ROM because i read the DVI port wouldn't work with the XT ROM. To flash i used Graphiccelerator and had a friend do it using a remote application since before flashed the card wasn't working with my monitor, being a PC card.

In Graphiccelerator, the Core Frequency of the rom i used was 378.0 and The Memory Frequency was 337.5. I did NOT change these values even though they are different from the 9800 XT published frequencies which are 412 for Core and 365 for memory.

After flashing the card the monitor started working but it shows only grey noise, horizontal bands of artifacts so bad that i can't see any menu or anything else.

When MAC OS X is loading, though, the screen will sometimes go blue as it normally should but this only lasts a fraction of a second. After that, MAC OS X loads all the way but the screen is unreadable. As such, i can't even use ATIcelerator to switch to a different efrequency to see if this is what is causing the problem.

Is there a way to fix this card? If i could use Graphiccelerator in the log in items and have it set the card to the correct frequency that might solve the problem (?) but graphiccelerator requires user input. I don't know what to do and i fear i have rendered the graphics card useless. Does anyone know what is going on? Is it the wrong frequency or is it something else? I would much appreciate some help. Thank You.

br35

Comments