Help with netinfo

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From reading various comments, it appears that Netinfo may be the tool I want for handling things like automounting directories.

However, I can't seem to find any documentation on the software. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
  • Reply 2 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by Xaqtly:

<strong><a href="http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/kbase.woa/wa/query?type=smartSearch&dateModified=&geography=&no des=&val=netinfo" target="_blank">Try this link.</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I've already checked that out and I found it to be close to useless. Those articles appear to be written as if I'm setting up a Netinfo server. Who in the real world actually has a mac-only network?

I tried searching for automount (no luck) Also, automatic mounting... No luck.

Here's what I would like: I want my home directory from my linux box to be automatically mounted whenever I have a network connection to it. I tried creating a webDAV server for my home directory and it works well until I either log out of the system or until I change networks (for example, when I take my laptop to work)

It seems hard to believe that Apple is this clueless about networking, so I'm left to the conclusion that I'm a bit clueless about Macs. Unfortunately, it's impossible finding any good help for it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    with OS X Server, it's the responsibility of the server, not the client, to automount home directories when connecting as a network user. There's an option in OS X Server that tells it to automatically mount the home directories of the users that sign on. So is there an option to do that on your linux box?

of course you could do it easier probably... next time you log onto your linux box, mount your home directory in OS X. Then make an alias of it. then go into System preferences &gt; Login and set that alias to run at login.

What that should do is when you log in to OS X it should come up with a login dialog for the linux box. When you fill that out your home directory will mount. You can also write an Applescript that will handle it automatically including name and password. It would look something like this:

mount volume "nfs://your.server.address/YourHomeDir" as user name "username" with password "password"

Change whatever's in quotes to match your setup, save the script as an application and have it run at login.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Yeah, I've tried that and it basically kills my machine.

Try doing that and then logging out and logging back in.

Or, try doing that, and then take your computer to a different network (e.g. take your computer to work) and then bring it back to your network (e.g. bring it back home)

Both scenarios kill the box because OS X refuses to release the mount point. In scenario 1, the box just hangs on me and I have to reboot it. In scenario 2, at least the box doesn't hang, but I can't remount my directory until I reboot the box.

In either case, this "try to mount my directory at login" hack seems like only a partial solution. It sounds great for a single user who never travels with the computer. Completely useles for anybody else, though.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but this is something that Windows has done for a long, long time (Windows 98 has it) and linux has also done for a long time. I'm sure there's a way for this to "just work" on Apple's OS, but if so, it's pretty well hidden.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I would imagine that there could be an applescript solution. Any ideas?