More than one external monitor w/new 24" iMac?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm an equities trader and can't wait for my giant, glossy 24 inches of screen to accentuate the 22 I currently have as an external for my old laptop. I'd love to add yet another, though -- so that's two external monitors running off of a brand new 3.06 ghz 24" iMac.

Is this possible? if so, how? Do I need an ABY switch, or any special software? The external (and likely what I'd buy another of, or something comparable barring other suggestions from you all?) is a Samsung SyncMaster 226 cw.

Thanks so much in advance. This seems like THE place for Mac fanatics. And, as a timely note, my thoughts and best wishes go out to Steve and his family.

Cheers and thnx again!

-Zach

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I asked the Apple store today and they informed me the new iMac can't currently run more than one external monitor.

My new solution is to use spaces for two- or three-space setup (in case anyone's running into the same problem). I know this will seem apparent to many people, however, it's worth noting to follow up.

Thanks to all who tried!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by prsguitars View Post

I'm an equities trader and can't wait for my giant, glossy 24 inches of screen to accentuate the 22 I currently have as an external for my old laptop. I'd love to add yet another, though -- so that's two external monitors running off of a brand new 3.06 ghz 24" iMac.

Is this possible? if so, how? Do I need an ABY switch, or any special software? The external (and likely what I'd buy another of, or something comparable barring other suggestions from you all?) is a Samsung SyncMaster 226 cw.

Thanks so much in advance. This seems like THE place for Mac fanatics. And, as a timely note, my thoughts and best wishes go out to Steve and his family.

Cheers and thnx again!

-Zach

[email protected]

• Reply 2 of 2
    Matrox makes an adapter that allows for multiple additonal displays:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/dh2go/

compatability chart:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/su...atibility/gxm/