Labels?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
where did they go??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Since labels haven't made their way to OS X yet, I doubt they will in future. Guess, Apple, wants all your folders to be blue.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    That's right; labels do not exist in Mac OS X.

I suspect, though, that we will get something similar to labels in the future. Remember that Apple hired the creators of BFS, a filesystem that is rich with metadata. If they are doing the same kind of work at Apple, then we will probably get an excellent new filesystem that has metadata far superior and more powerful than the labels of Classic Mac OS.

The soonest I would venture to guess at the arrival of such a filesystem would probably coincide with 10.3 some time late next year.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    HFS+ was designed with extended metadata in mind, but that never happened.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Icons look so good in X, and there's a handful of sites with people giving away their icons, so labels seem so un-important.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Yeah.

I make custom icons for the folders of all my projects

Love the 128x128 size
  • Reply 6 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    How about JFS Brad will that come too and put an end to defragging?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Brad:

<strong>That's right; labels do not exist in Mac OS X.

I suspect, though, that we will get something similar to labels in the future. Remember that Apple hired the creators of BFS, a filesystem that is rich with metadata. If they are doing the same kind of work at Apple, then we will probably get an excellent new filesystem that has metadata far superior and more powerful than the labels of Classic Mac OS.

The soonest I would venture to guess at the arrival of such a filesystem would probably coincide with 10.3 some time late next year.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If anyone wants info on these guys search Google for

<a href="http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Dominic+Giampaolo&spell=1"; target="_blank">Dominic Giampaolo </a>

And <a href="http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=Pavel+cisler&spell=1"; target="_blank">Pavel Cisler</a> Of Be Tracker fame.

I'm excited about what a modern File System will do for OSX useability. Put it this way. Maxtor will have 320GB drives soon and once you have 200GB of actual data it's going to take a well executed File System and management to find files quickly and easily.

I'm glad Apple is getting the best and brightest.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    [quote] I couldn't imagine why Apple wouldn't implement this valuable tool in OS X. <hr></blockquote>

Because a nexgen Filesystem with excellent Metadata support would allow you to simply run a Query and modify it in realtime until you have your file(s).

I believe that the next Major FS update will render Labels obsolete. Labels cannot speed up FS but they help YOU manage your files. A FS with excellent metadata support will speed up your FS and ease your file management. I'm excited about the possibilites.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Will Apple make it be a Journaling File System?
  • Reply 10 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>

Because a nexgen Filesystem with excellent Metadata support would allow you to simply run a Query and modify it in realtime until you have your file(s).

I believe that the next Major FS update will render Labels obsolete. Labels cannot speed up FS but they help YOU manage your files. A FS with excellent metadata support will speed up your FS and ease your file management. I'm excited about the possibilites.</strong><hr></blockquote>

True, and there are exciting future possibilities as you mention. But that doesn't help those who need labels in the here and now. I believe there are shareware programs that offer labels in OS X; perhaps VersionTracker has a listing.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    [quote]Originally posted by Aquatik:

<strong>Will Apple make it be a Journaling File System?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think so. Dom Giampaolo says his Code for the Journaling Features of BeOS only too 1000 to 1200 lines of code. I'm sure Apple would require more because of legacy support but that's encouraging.

LudwigVan:

I thought there was a newly announce product called "Labels X" for OSX that did labels.

Eventually I hope that we have a Journaling FS with Database functionality tied to extensive Metadata so that users in Tonton's position can simply Query for different attributes and them apply Global or Batch changes to the files in question(ie easily change some files from "Ready for Output" to "Change Needed" etc. Some sort of user definition would be nice.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Damn this looks really good! Especially for businesses (and neat freaks like me ) 10.3? 10.4?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    but i don't think OSX will ever see a "Journaled File System" search google for "SoftUpdates" Darwin is based on BSD after all right?

But yes Labels will probably only be available once someone creates a haxie, Apple does a hack job, or a new/updated file system is introduced.

Snax from cocoatech has label support though .
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Yes, I also hope Apple will adopt journaling features into whatever new filesystem it may be working on.

[quote]Originally posted by dartblazer:

<strong>but i don't think OSX will ever see a "Journaled File System" search google for "SoftUpdates" Darwin is based on BSD after all right?</strong><hr></blockquote>Maybe it's because of the atrocious grammar used in the post, but I don't follow why you think there will not be a journaled file system. Why exactly do you think Mac OS X won't get a JFS?

[quote]<strong>Snax from cocoatech has label support though .</strong><hr></blockquote>Snax? *gag* *cough* *wheeze*
  • Reply 15 of 17
    No JFS? Why else would they hire Dominic Giampaolo?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    I'm quite confident that eventually (with 10.3 or 10.4), an additional file system option ("HFS X"? "MacFS"?) in the installer will be introduced. This file system will work similarly to HFS+, but add Journaling and Metadata support.

I hope a conversion tool (HFS+ ==&gt; new FS) will be added as well.